This page provides information about a prior version of Emerald. For information about current version please click here
Comprehensive Billing, Authentication and Customer Care SolutionFor Microsoft Windows and Linux (Intel) platforms.
Version 5 Basic, Standard, HotSpot, Professional and Enterprise Editions Now Available!
For over a decade IEA Software's Emerald Suite has been a leader in service provider billing, customer management, RADIUS/AAA and provisioning. The Emerald Suite of products has been proven to be reliable, available, manageable and scalable. With thousands of installations around the globe, Emerald and RadiusNT/X manage millions of users worldwide.
Emerald is an integrated suite of tools providing billing, reseller billing, customer care, provisioning, customer self management, prepaid cards, authentication, and much more to organizations around the world. The Emerald Management Suite is an easy to use package designed to meet the needs of those providing network or Internet services, or anyone requiring a robust customer management system. The suite is designed to be powerful, yet efficient, even where management of a large number of users may be required.
You can easily grow your business at your own pace, buying additional MBRs when the need arises. For order information, please check out our Pricing web page. We also offer you a variety of Support resources to help ensure your success with our products.
Emerald offers many useful features to help automate customer accounting and administration. These features include the complete management and configuration of user accounts, auto-scheduled and manual billing options, customer care and incident tracking, historical and on-line usage monitoring, system event logging, and a wide variety of customizable reporting options. Emerald provides the flexibility to be individually customized and tailored to meet your distinct organizational needs.
In the highly competitive telecommunications market, the key to success is organization and low overhead. Emerald reduces system redundancy and increases efficiency by consolidating user administration, technical support and billing into one application suite. The centralized system keeps the information in sync and up to date across all areas of your business. Additionally, Emerald's web-based interface has been designed to meet today's complex system needs, supporting both multi-platform environments and secure remote user access. Using this approach, Emerald promotes a positive company image by providing accurate and timely information in a uniform, professional format for your staff and customers alike.
Emerald provides extensive integration with many third-party products enabling your organization to centrally maintain many differing systems from within a single interface. A significant feature of the Emerald Management Suite is it's direct full-feature integration with RadiusNT/X. This core system component allows any equipment that is RADIUS compatible to access the Emerald user database to validate user accounts, as well as manage and monitor user access of your system.
New UI customization features and expanded licensing options make Emerald ideal for any environment with a need to bill clients on a one-time or recurring basis and manage customer requests utilizing Emeralds integrated CRM features. Emerald has been used successfully in many areas outside of the network services arena.
Emerald version 5 includes more than a hundred new or enhanced features since the previous major release of Emerald 4.5 Click here for details.
Edition column headings below shown with each group of features are based on the following:
|Edition||MBR License||RADIUS Included|
|Emerald Basic Edition (Basic)||500 Included||Does not include RadiusNT/X|
|Emerald Standard Edition (Std)||500 Included||Includes single server RadiusNT/X v5 standard license|
|Emerald Express Edition (Exp)||Unlimited||Includes single server RadiusNT/X v5 standard license|
|Emerald Hot-Spot Edition (HS)||500 Included||Includes single server RadiusNT/X v5 standard license /w EAP|
|Emerald Professional (Pro)||500 Included||Includes single server RadiusNT/X v5 professional license|
|Emerald Enterprise (Ent)||500 Included||Includes two server RadiusNT/X v5 enterprise licenses|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Account Management & Support Features|
|"Hot Key" support for quick menu system navigation|
|Automatic determination and entry of city/state based on postal code|
|Automatic payment and account lookup using credit card swipe reader|
|Automatic invoice and statement lookup using printed barcode scanner|
|Configurable custom data fields integrated into Service and MBR detail displays|
|Call center automated account lookup provides identification of incoming calls by location, phone company and matching Emerald accounts if available. The included CallerID Search 'pop up' application supports modem call notification, modem Dialing, YAC and Asterisk call notification. Click here for more information|
|Operators can perform RADIUS authentication tests against services to verify accessibility|
|Dynamic client field validation and security based field change lockout|
|Session Disconnect and CoA support (RFC3576) for RADIUS sessions appearing in the Emerald online sessions report|
|Email notification system alerts operators and customers to important events such as pending account or credit card expiration, low time or data remaining, incidents needing attention or having been resolved, payment transaction status, new customer welcome messages and much more as configured|
|Session management server continuously monitors active sessions for changes in account status mitigating risk for prepaid services by enforcing status and authorization changes for active sessions. The management server may be used to enforce concurrency control, time and limits even where multiple sessions for the same account are open concurrently, enforcement of bandwidth usage restrictions, enforcement of account status changes such as disconnecting sessions of accounts having been closed or inactivated and enforcement of authorization attribute changes such as a change of bandwidth allocation|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Misc / Platform Features|
|CSS centric theme system allow branding, custom appearance, content and logos according to criteria such as operator, IP address, browser and device, group, site and time/day|
|Automatic Language selection based on browser language setting. 10 automated language conversions are currently available including English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Korean and Arabic. New languages can be added and existing translations updated using the included language editor.|
|Unlimited session Air Marshal license|
|Introductory Offers where recurring service pricing changes after an initial period|
|Packaged accounts allow multiple services to be billed together|
|Automated recurring billing on period of months or period of days basis|
|Sales person commission tracking and reporting|
|Flexible tax structure supporting the following features: piggyback, regional, price inclusive, percentage or static pricing, taxable ceilings or floors and support for Texas Internet tax|
|Renewal or Balance forward billing|
|Discounts based on static amount or percentage|
|Send Method charges|
|Previewing of billing events|
|Statement & Invoice generation|
|"Real-time" balance displayed based on currently available network usage|
|Payment tracking provides historical accuracy for some tax and payment reports by tracking the association of credits and payments to invoice line items over time|
|Support for non-recurring prepaid services and billing|
|Emailing of Statements and Invoices|
|Usage billing (See Rating)|
|Scheduled, automated billing process including statement creation and sending via email|
|Failed transaction reporting and management|
|Duplicate payment detection|
|Point Of Sale functionality with estimate to invoice conversions|
|Credits and Adjustments|
|Monthly, Anniversary and Calendar aligned billing cycles|
|Late payment fees|
|Per service type pro-rate settings when opening, closing and changing from or to another service type|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||CRM/Incident tracking features|
|Support tickets (Incidents)|
|Actions' add resolutions to incidents|
|Configurable incident states, (Open,blocked,WIP,Closed..etc)|
|Open incident reporting and searching (Full text)|
|Customer history report|
|Operator access to RADIUS call and authentication failure data|
|Custom data fields by incident type|
|Incident fields can be hidden or displayed as appropriate per incident type|
|Incident priority settings|
|Incident Due Date / Resolve By fields with email overdue warnings, overdue escalation and reporting|
|Role based incident assignments provide for grouping of operators with similar job functions, automatic distribution of new incidents using a load balancing method and a tiering system for overflow assignment|
|Incident and action time tracking feature for informational purposes or documentation of billable hours|
|Support for escalations and escalation notification|
|Incident status change email notifications|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Customer self-management and signup|
|Integrated new customer signup server|
|Leverages themes and packages to provide custom look and feel as well as customized access plans|
|Support for prepaid card pay method at signup|
|Customize required and visible input fields providing a simplified sign-up process|
|Supports creation of one-time accounts as well as recurring access accounts|
|Customer Account Center allows customers to check account status, billing history, change passwords and make payments online|
|Customers can add new services and change or cancel existing services|
|Customers can view and print detailed invoices, statements and payment receipts from the customer center|
|Customers can manage email notifications they receive for announcements, account status, incidents and more|
|Customers can open support incidents and add notes to existing tickets from the customer account center|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Network traffic accounting (EmerNet)|
|Real-time rating for static usage fees and conditional fees based on network, protocol, port and traffic|
|Promiscuous mode passive ethernet data collection|
|Cisco Netflow versions 1, 5, 7, 9 and IPFIX (RFC 5101)|
|Integrated flow cache for improved performance|
|Support for multiple CPUs / concurrent execution threads|
|Collector addressing prevents double billing when multiple collectors or netflow exports are enabled throughout the network|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Real-Time Usage Rating|
|Rating based on time of day, day of week, day/week of month and holidays|
|Per session rounding including per interval up, down, nearest, 6 second, 18/6, 30/6, 60/6 and 60 second rounding|
|Rating data sources enable rating of data from external sources|
|Bill concurrently for time and data usage|
|Pre-rated billing record pass-thru|
|Bill multiple parties such as end-user and resellers for the same usage|
|Determination of time remaining based on available balance or credit and other criteria as available such as source and destination address|
|Criteria based pricing such as source and destination address or prefix, IP network, device port or other available data|
|Per call detail on invoices and statements|
|Voice CDR rating based on destination number or prefix, per call fees, bong charges, simplified import of rate tables, rate table grouping, discounting and configurable condition matching (port, call type..etc)|
|Authorization parameters for RADIUS authentication allow enforcement of access restrictions based on bandwidth consumed and other criteria as defined|
|Dynamic cost changes after configured time or data consumed|
|Real-time rating for RADIUS accounting|
|Rate cost ceilings and floors|
|Resellers can set custom pricing on a per service type basis|
|Operators can set reseller pricing on a per service type basis|
|Support for detailed (per account) or summarized (by service type) invoicing of resellers|
|Support for fractional or whole month billing|
|Separate tracking and reporting of monies for each reseller/organization|
|Place limits on each resellers Active MBR count|
|Proxy realm billing to charge external accounts for network access|
|Real-time usage rating simultaneously at the end-user and reseller levels|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Prepaid Card Accounts|
|"Direct Use" accounts allow the user to directly access services using the login and password provided on the pre-paid card without an initial signup process|
|Integration with signup server allows collection of customer information, selection of plan, access login funded by pre-paid card|
|Rechargeable - Existing accounts may be recharged by additional pre-paid cards|
|Integrated account generator supports creation of secure custom sequence algorithms for login and password generation|
|Stored profiles provide simplified configuration when creating additional pre-paid card batches|
|Prepaid data easily exportable in CSV and XML forms|
|Batch and account level pre-paid card management and statistics|
|Card use isolated to accounts associated to the same organization as the pre-paid card|
|Leverages customer account center to provide customer driven provisioning of accounts or additional access funded by prepaid cards|
|Limited shelf life: Prepaid batches can be configured such that cards having not been used over a period of time automatically expire|
|Enforce Access Limits: Expiration, session time and data limits, concurrent access limits and currency based rating required for advanced services such as prepaid telephone cards are possible with Emeralds integrated pre-paid card management system|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Credit Card and ACH/EFT processing|
|Multiple payment processors supported by Organization, billing group and card type|
|Auth+Capture, Credit and Void transactions|
|Configuration interface in many cases allows "configuring" support for additional processors|
|Payflow Pro (real-time)|
|Royal Bank of Canada STD 152|
|First Data PTC|
|Transaction Central (real-time)|
|USA ePay (real-time)|
|NELiX TransaX (real-time)|
|Sage Payment Solutions (real-time)|
|ANZ eGate (real-time)|
|First Data PayPoint (real-time)|
|IP Pay (real-time)|
|Moneris eSelect (real-time)|
|Payeezy - First Data (real-time)|
|Converge - Elavon (real-time)|
|Cyber Cash - IC Verify|
|Expiring credit cards|
|Taxes invoiced and paid|
|New user summaries|
|Basic||Exp||Std||HS||Pro||Ent||Audit and Logging|
|Detailed data access logging|
|Globally sourced problem summary|
|Logged operator changes|
|RADIUS authentication failure|
|Integrated syslog server provides central logging for routers and NAS devices|
|View calls and failed authentication attempts|
|Scheduler task logging|
|FTP Transfer logging|
|AAA RadiusNT/X included (Click here for RADIUS features included with Emerald)|
|Generic contact information (LDAP)|
|NMS/Sun Messaging Server (LDAP)|
|Communigate Pro (LDAP)|
|NIS+ and PAM/NSS UNIX accounts (LDAP)|
|Surge Mail (LDAP)|
|Serv-U FTP (EmerAuth)|
|Merak Mail and IceWarp (RDBMS)|
|Mail Site (RDBMS)|
|VOP Mail (RDBMS)|
|Smarter Mail (HTTPS Post)|
|Zimbra Mail (HTTPS Post)|
|Everyone.Net Email Service (HTTPS Post)|
|Google Apps Email (HTTPS Post)|
|Helm Control Panel (HTTPS Post)|
|cPanel Control Panel (HTTPS Post)|
|DirectAdmin Control Panel (HTTPS Post)|
|eNom Domain Registration (HTTPS Post)|
|Diino backup service (HTTPS Post)|
|eFolder backup service (HTTPS Post)|
|Generic change file export|
|X-STOP content filter|
|Detailed client action/access logging|
|AES database field encryption for sensitive information such as passwords, credit cards and account numbers|
|Operator limits on accepted payment types and amounts|
|Password & Secure data visibility options for operators and administrators|
|Emerald 'Active Sessions' showing which operators and customers are currently using Emerald|
|Short term operator account lockouts for failed authentication attempts|
|Group level IP access restrictions|
|HTTPS (SSLv3 and TLS)|
|Limit operator access privileges on a per-billing group basis|
|Configurable access restrictions|
|End-User account center|
RadiusNT/X version 5 features(Note: RadiusNT/X standard edition does not support RadiusNT/X Proxy and Roaming or EAP Authentication)
- Based on industry-standard RADIUS protocols supporting the following IETF RFCs: RFC2284, RFC2548, RFC2619, RFC2621, RFC2759, RFC2865, RFC2866, RFC2867, RFC2868, RFC2869, RFC2882, RFC3078, RFC3079, RFC3162, RFC3576, RFC3579, RFC3580, RFC4590, RFC4679, RFC5090, RFC6911, RFC6929, and RFC6930
- Supports multiple authentication protocols: PAP, CHAP, MSCHAPv1 and MSCHAPv2, HTTP digest/SIP, Wireless 802.1x/EAP authentication: EAP-LEAP (Cisco aironet), EAP-PEAP (v0 and v1), EAP-TTLS, EAP-GTC, EAP-MD5 and EAP-MSCHAPv2.
- Authenticate users from a wide range of sources, multiple sources can be used concurrently on a per-user or per-domain basis. Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) support for Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL and others as configured. Standard RADIUS Users text file, UNIX password file, Windows authentication (SAM,AD..etc) (RadiusNT only), UNIX authentication (local, NIS+..etc) (RadiusX Only). Additional sources available in Enterprise version.
- IPv6 transport and attributes
- Multiple database password formats supporting plain text, Emerald encrypted (AES), unix crypt, unix bigcrypt, MD5, SMD5, SHA1 and SSHA1.
- Distributed session concurrency control on a per-user and per-group basis.
- Integrated support for SNMP queries to capable NASes to verify session status.
- Extensive logging and debug options including packet and encrypted tunnel level logging and support for syslog hosts.
- Takes advantage of an unlimited number of ODBC databases for fault tolerant authentication and accounting services.
- Main memory indexing provides fast response times for large numbers of users and session profiles.
- Cisco VOIP attribute parsing for accounting.
- 'Smart caching' optionally keeps external ODBC database accounts synchronized with fast internal database for higher performance and an additional layer of fault tolerance against external database failure.
- Self-tuning ODBC accounting spooler dynamically provides high throughput or high concurrency based on current accounting load.
- Attribute filtering support rules based modification of attributes as well as external ODBC access allowing complex decisions to be made based on attributes coming in, going out or proxied through RadiusNT/X. Attribute filtering enables new classes of operator specific applications without custom programming or scripting.
- Rule based attribute proxy of authentication or accounting requests
- Alternate failure profiles allow bad requests to be acknowledged with a custom set of attributes. This allows the configuring of limited network access for customers whose accounts may have lapsed or need to pay for additional network access.
- Strip domain capabilities for flexible roaming support
- IP address pool management
- DNIS restriction and access
- Server and port access controls with individual time of day and session limits
- Intelligent database interface - Dynamic parameter checking allows authentication stored procedure full access to RADIUS attributes. All internal queries are documented and configurable through the administrative web interface. They provide complete control over the ODBC database interface and make integration with third-party systems easy.
- Attribute based authentication reject list
- Real-time view of all established user sessions
- User-updatable RADIUS dictionary. Included dictionary contains specific VSAs for over sixty popular vendors. Need support for an unknown vendor? Simply send us the vendors RADIUS dictionary and our support staff will provide you with an automated update script to support the new vendor.
- SNMP Statistics provides detailed information in real-time about the RADIUS server to an external monitoring station such as WhatsUp, MRTG, Openview, Solarwinds and other SNMP capable monitoring packages.
- Extensive, Scalable proxy roaming /w proxy server load balancing, rate limiting, failover, proxy loop detection, accounting store & forward modes, complete proxy replay at all stages and retry dampening to proxy targets provides a higher level of efficiency and reliability in large roaming/aggregation networks.
- Packet replay for local requests improves performance over congested networks and improves consistency of accounting data by better detecting duplicate requests
- Virtual Class correlation provides best-effort Class attribute support for both local and proxy requests in cases where NAS devices are not capable of supporting the Class attribute
- Eliminates the need to maintain separate subscriber lists for security and billing, and enables enhanced billing schemes such as network usage, prepaid and VOIP
- All local RADIUS server configurations can be stored in an ODBC database allowing central management of any number of RadiusNT/X servers
- Comphrensive datatype support includes standard RADIUS, Ascend binary filters, Tunnel (Tag) attributes, IPv6 and RedBack 64-bit integers.
- Compatible with RADIUS-compliant NAS, VPNs and wireless APs from hundreds of vendors. Please contact us if you have questions about compatibility.
- Includes our RADIUS test client. The test client provides valuable testing and NAS simulation facilities in addition to health monitoring and notification for up to hundreds of RFC compliant RADIUS servers.
- Token card authentication for RSA's SecurID, Axents Defender and Secure Computings Safeword.
- Flexible LDAP client for authentication provides interoperability with virtually any LDAP directory schema including NDS and AD by providing custom search parameters and a user configurable mapping of data between RADIUS attributes + values and LDAP objects + values.
- A simple, powerful external authentication API provides compatibility with custom authentication datasources.
- TACACS+ client for authentication.
- Any edition of Windows 2000-2012 or XP-Win8
- Linux 2.6+
- 1GB available RAM or greater
- 2GB or greater disk space
- Pentium III 500mhz CPU or greater
- Web browser (Firefox, Internet explorer or other HTML4/CSS2 compliant)
Emerald runs with the relational databases listed below. You need to have a working knowledge of your database. Please use the following guidelines:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Sybase ASE Server 15 or later
- Oracle 10g or later
You must have a valid license key to use Emerald. For your convenience Emerald is also available for download here:
- Emerald 5.0.91 for x86 Windows
- Emerald 5.0.91 /w MSDE for x86 Windows
- Emerald 5.0.91 for x64 Linux
- Emerald 5.0.89 for x86 Linux
- Emerald 5.0.67 for Sparc Solaris