RE: [Emerald] services with changing rates

Jason (newlandj@areatech.com)
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:20:38 -0600

From: "Jason" <newlandj@areatech.com>
Subject: RE: [Emerald] services with changing rates
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:20:38 -0600

Then my solution won't work for you. I may be wrong here, but the solution may not be a technical one, but a business decision. From a customer point of view, if I sign up for service in January for 49.99, and in February you change the price to 44.99, and I don't get the discount, I'm gonna be pissed (pardon the lang.). That just screams customer dissatisfaction. You may want to stick with a price, or prices
(say 4 different rates 1 year, 2 year, 1 year sale price, 2 year sale price. And then every year or 2 revisit your pricing model to stay competitive with the Telco. Who knows. :)

  Jason

-----Original Message----- From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com] On Behalf Of Monica Zimmerman Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 3:10 PM To: emerald@iea-software.com Subject: Re: [Emerald] services with changing rates

So if on Jan 1, DSL1yr was 49.99 but then we reduced it to 44.99 on Feb 1, then any customers who signed the contract for the 49.99 in Jan will have their rates reduced to the current price of 44.99? That is why we were using the static amounts because when the rate changes, we aren't lowering it for the people who signed up for that previous price...
  The idea I just had was to create 2 custom fields 1 - contract length (1 or 2) and 2- contract start date, and then use static amount for the price, along with a general service type of DSL... Does this sound right? Or did I misunderstand your idea. I know others are having this same issue with the telcos...
  Thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: Jason <mailto:newlandj@areatech.com> To: emerald@iea-software.com Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 4:00 PM Subject: RE: [Emerald] services with changing rates

Actually in the newer versions of Emerald you specify a service type. Then in admin you will have 1 service type called DSL1yr and another called DSL2yr. That way, when the rates change, you just change each of your "contract" rates in 1 place in the admin area.

  Jason

-----Original Message----- From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com] On Behalf Of Monica Zimmerman Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 2:59 PM To: emerald@iea-software.com Subject: [Emerald] services with changing rates

Hi,
  We have DSL which we offer but we can lower the rates when our telco does. So we always have to have static prices (emerald 2.5 for rightnow but upgrading to 4). My question is: how do people track these things without just using static prices? For example, we have one year contract dsl for 49.99 and a 2 yr contract for 44.99. Same service, just different price. Is there a way to just have ONE service but to identify which contract they signed and which price since the price seems to be a moving target?
  In emerald 4.6 I bet I could use the custom field for the service and specify the contract term, but I'm assuming I'll always just have to put a static price in for that customer. Any other suggestions?
  Thanks, Monica