RE: [Emerald] Emerald 4.5 database

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:49:13 -0800

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Subject: RE: [Emerald] Emerald 4.5 database
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:49:13 -0800

> I'm thinking of upgrading from 4.1 to 4.5 and I'm interested in the
> built in db server in the new version. Is anyone using it? Has anyone
> ditched their SQL to use it? Does it have the ability to backup and
> restore databases?

The builtin DB version is a run-time licensed version of SQL Server 2K. There are no management tools with it, although Emerald 4.5 includes simple backup/restore options, a query screen, and a SQL status screen to allow basic functionality.

You can actually upgrade it to the full version just by installing SQL 2K over the top of it. All SQL Server Service Packs can be applied to it as well (the MSDE notes in the service packs). If you already have the SQK license, you wont gain anything.

Dale