RE: [Emerald] SQL Help..

Jeffrey M Donley (jeffd@lmf.net)
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:55:05 -0500

From: "Jeffrey M Donley" <jeffd@lmf.net>
Subject: RE: [Emerald] SQL Help..
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:55:05 -0500

It does depend entirely on your recovery model. The article below is an excellent description of how recovery works.

-----Original Message----- From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Jim Sheldon Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 10:44 AM To: emerald@iea-software.com Subject: RE: [Emerald] SQL Help..

I also had this problem along with another DB problem that kept me from trimming the call files through Emerald. IEA suggested I make a new DB and copy the data from the old one. This fixed my trim problem and reduced the size of my log file form 6 gig to a few hundred meg. I do not suggest this as a solution to reducing the log file unless nothing else works. I will post a 2 quotes from an answer I got when I asked a similar question.

Jim

" The deal is (I think) as follows:

It all depends on the Recovery model of the database (Under properties). Since Emerald 4 is by default Bulk-Logged, this limits how quickly and how the transaction logs can be truncated. See the below URL for more info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/archite c/8_ar_da2_7vaf.asp

(You will probably need to stitch the above URL back together)

Don
"

"Jim, I am not sure what version of emerald you have but I noticed in V4 the log file does not truncate (or in my case) and I have not been able to get it to truncate after backups. You can use a shrink file query in sql query. Back up your database (always good practice) and run these two commands:

First: BACKUP LOG Emerald4 WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

then:

DBCC SHRINKFILE(Emerald4_log, 25)

25 being the size you wish to shrink it to in MB

keep in mind this is for emerald V4 for just emerald drop the 4

Jeff
"

-----Original Message----- From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com] On Behalf Of Craig Hulbert Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 9:22 AM To: emerald@iea-software.com Subject: [Emerald] SQL Help..

I posted this before and got no answer.. I can't be the only person that has concern over the SQL Server emerald.ldf file size.. its at 5GB now and I would like to prune it... any cluse.. besided the MS Method that doesn't work...

MDF 56MB LDF 5GB

Help..

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the WebMail system at daytondigital.net

This is a user supported list. If you require assistance from IEA Software's Support Engineers, please check out our Support resources at http://www.iea-software.com/support.