RE: [NTISP] Pls help test my email server

rkm ( rkm@marshall.net )
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:15:39 -0400

Well... here's the story from where I sit... I couldn't get thru the DNS
problems to test the mail server..... hold on to yer hat...

I ran this on the zone info for uplink.com.ph ...

Information
Serial number: 1999062201
Primary name server: mozcom1.mozcom.com.
Primary mail server: mail.uplink.com.ph.
Number of records: 17 (2 NS, 2 MX, 5 A, 8 CNAME, 0 PTR, 0 Other)

Warnings
o Unable to perform zone transfer from the primary server
"mozcom1.mozcom.com."
It was not possible to perform a zone transfer from
"mozcom1.mozcom.com.", which is listed as being the primary server
for the zone. DNS Expert will use the zone data from the server
"dns-backup.mozcom.com." instead.

Errors
o Unable to contact "mozcom1.mozcom.com."
DNS Expert was unable to establish a connection with the server
"mozcom1.mozcom.com.". This server will not be used to check
information about the zone.

o An MX record for "uplink.com.ph." refers to "mail.uplink.com.ph."
which is a CNAME record
An MX record in the zone "uplink.com.ph." refers to the mail
server "mail.uplink.com.ph." The record "mail.uplink.com.ph." is a
CNAME record, not an A record.

o The secondary mail server "mozcom.com." does not respond
The mail server "mozcom.com.", which is a secondary mail server
for "uplink.com.ph.", does not seem to be working.

o The reverse record "9.150.142.208.in-addr.arpa." does not refer to
the host "uplink.com.ph."
The reverse record "9.150.142.208.in-addr.arpa." refers to
"mail.uplink.com.ph.", but it should refer to "uplink.com.ph.".

o The reverse record "9.150.142.208.in-addr.arpa." does not refer to
the host "elijah.uplink.com.ph."
The reverse record "9.150.142.208.in-addr.arpa." refers to
"mail.uplink.com.ph.", but it should refer to
"elijah.uplink.com.ph.".

o The server "dns-backup.mozcom.com." did not reply
The server "dns-backup.mozcom.com." did not reply when it was
queried for the name "251.251.160.208.in-addr.arpa.". This
indicates that the server is not running, or it is currently
unreachable.

o There is no PTR record for the host "josiah.uplink.com.ph."
There is no PTR record available for the host
"josiah.uplink.com.ph." which has the IP address 208.160.251.251.