Re: [NTISP] Routing a subnet thru RRAS dialup line

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 05:36:14 -0700

Danny Sinang wrote:

> A customer dials into our NT server 4.0 machine running RRAS and gets a
> fixed or static IP address.
>
> Now he needs valid IP addresses for the PC's on his LAN.
>
> So this means I have to route through his dialup connection.

Yep.

> I've successfully routed all the way from my upstream provider to my NT
> server. Now I need to tell my NT server to route through the dialup
> connection.

Thats the trick (see below).

> Problem is, you can't specify which interface you want to use in the "route
> add" command in NT. And even if there was a way, what is the name of the PPP
> interface that my customer dialed into ?

You don't need to. There are only two kinds of routes: next hop and
default.
Default is everything you don't know. A next hop route is where you
define
an ip or subnet to be routed to an IP address KNOWN to your router (NT).
Its not legal to route to an IP that isn't known, and by known I mean
an IP address in the subnet of one of your ethernet interfaces.

Here is a section from my 1995 (wow, that was a while ago) set of NT
FAQS that I use to keep. The comments from the guy below were about NT
3.51,
not NT 4. AFAIK, you don't have to add the routes on NT4 to get this to
work.