Re: [NTISP] RRAS multilink PPP question

Joshua Chamas ( joshua@chamas.com )
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:56:21 -0700

You can also try a scripted approach, where you have a
program that runs monitoring your connections, bringing
them up where necessary.

In perl:

`routemon interface enable interfaceName`;
`routemon interface connect interfaceName`;
my $routemon_out = `routemon interface show interfaceName`;
if($routemon_out =~ /Connected/s) {
print "connection is up!\n"
} else {
print "connection down\n"
exit;
}

You could put this kind of code into a while loop that
gets triggered whenever some network test doesn't work
the way it should ... I run this kind of monitoring stuff
from my AT scheduler, with each monitor being self terminating,
and new ones starting each period (15 minutes for me)

When an interface fails to come up, your system could send
you an email to come and manually (pcAnywhere ? :) fix it.

-- Joshua
Joshua Chamas Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NODEWORKS - web link monitoring Long Beach, CA USA 1-562-432-2469
http://www.nodeworks.com http://www.chamas.com