RE: [NTISP] VPN

David Scott ( (no email) )
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:27:54 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01BE8CB3.2AEC0CA0

Works fine, in fact this is a perfect excuse for PPTP. It does work using
RAS, but all it will do is open an encrypted channel through your existing
Internet channel. Just make sure you don't select the "Use Default Gateway
On Default Network" option in your connection settings. It will change your
default gateway on the calling box to be that of the remote network,
therefore making your connecting machine inaccessable to incoming internet
connections. If this sounds confusing, let me know and I'll try to clarify.
Anyway, we connect to 4 different remote sites via VPN over our NT server
through our Pipeline 50. Works great!

David Scott
davidscott@mtgroup.com
http://www.access-developer.com
http://www.mtgroup.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ntisp-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:ntisp-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Dan Waldron
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 1999 5:22 AM
To: NTISP
Subject: [NTISP] VPN

Good evening everyone

I have two NT servers, each connected to a Pipeline 130 router with
links to different ISPs, they are in two different states. I want to be able
to use the one user database in for both states, so to me this sounded sort
of VPN-ishy, but from what I am reading this may only work over PPTP thru
RAS rather than being able to pump it thru my existing internet connection
via the router.

Does anyone know any good sources of information that will enable me to
do what I want to?

Regards
Dan

Dan Waldron
Net Sydney Internet Services
dan@netsydney.com
http://www.netsydney.com
Ph: 1300-300-005
Fax: +61-2-9832-0951

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01BE8CB3.2AEC0CA0

Works=20fine, in fact this is a perfect excuse for PPTP. It does work using RAS, =but all=20it will do is open an encrypted channel through your existing Internet =channel.=20Just make sure you don't select the "Use Default Gateway On Default =Network" option in your connection settings. It will change your =default=20gateway on the calling box to be that of the remote network, therefore =making=20your connecting machine inaccessable to incoming internet connections. =If this=20sounds confusing, let me know and I'll try to clarify. Anyway, we =connect to 4=20different remote sites via VPN over our NT server through our Pipeline =50. Works=20great!

http://www.mtgroup.com=20