Re: [NTISP] Netbus or BackOrriface Trojans and Dialup Users

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 08:43:33 -0700

> PSS wrote:
>
> Have any of you had Problems with Dialup user password stealing ?
>
> We have been seeing of late a growing number of Concurrency errors on
> dialup user accounts and legimate users unable to access their dialups
> due to what appears to be stolen logon names and passwords. We believe
> that people have been spreading BackOriface and or Netbus to dialup
> users and using these tools to snatch passwords for their own use.
>
> Any ideas,sugestions or experince with this type of scenario...

If you have PRI lines with CallerID, its pretty easy to resolve these
kind of issues, including prosecuting offenders. Remember PRI is
trunk side, and thus you can't block CallerID on them, even if the
offender is trying to be sneaky and does a *83.