Re: [NTISP] Post.Office / Outlook Express issues

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:45:31 -0500

>At 18:16 15/03/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>The problem with Outlook Express is that when it sees a single . (period)
on
>>a line all by itself then it things it is the end of the message.. so it
>>quits retreiving the Email...
>
>From: Brian Dorricott <brian-list@net-shopper.co.uk>
>But the POP3 specification says that a line with a dot on its own IS the
>end of a message. If the mail server ever needs to sends a line with a
>single dot, it should insert a dot at the beginning. So it looks like
>Outlook Express is doing the right thing here. RFC1939 if I remember
>correctly.

Here's an excerpt from RFC-1939 (Post Office Protocol - Version 3):
http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1939.txt
are clearly indicated below, after sending the first line of the
response and a CRLF, any additional lines are sent, each terminated
by a CRLF pair. When all lines of the response have been sent, a
final line is sent, consisting of a termination octet (decimal code
046, ".") and a CRLF pair. If any line of the multi-line response
begins with the termination octet, the line is "byte-stuffed" by
pre-pending the termination octet to that line of the response.
Hence a multi-line response is terminated with the five octets
"CRLF.CRLF". When examining a multi-line response, the client checks
to see if the line begins with the termination octet. If so and if
octets other than CRLF follow, the first octet of the line (the
termination octet) is stripped away. If so and if CRLF immediately
follows the termination character, then the response from the POP
server is ended and the line containing ".CRLF" is not considered
part of the multi-line response.

Josh

see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html