Re: [NTISP] IIS4 and Appl

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:34:05 -0500

From: Jeff Binkley <jeff.binkley@asacomp.com>
>It certainly is via port based webs, we do it all of the time. In fact
>you can have multiple names under the same virtual web in IIS (i.e.
>mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com) and also have other virtual websites
>(i.e. yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com) all sharing the same IP
>address. We do it today with IIS and Apache.

I didn't know this could be done for multiple content areas being served
from the same IP and port. It turns out that it is something that's
dependent on the client though, so it doesn't work quite as well as having
each domain on a separate IP (if the content to be served is different). I
guess if you're limited on IPs, it's a handy approach though.

Host Header Name:
For your server to have a domain name, you must register it in the Domain
Name System (DNS). A domain name server then maps your registered domain
name to your IP address, enabling requests addressed to your domain name to
reach you. You can assign multiple domain names, or host header names, to a
single IP address. If the client browser supports the use of host header
names, the name the user types is passed in the HTTP header as host. The
server then routes the client to the correct Web site. If the browser does
not support the use of host header names, the server responds with the
default Web site if a default Web site is enabled. Otherwise, the client
receives an error message. If the Web site requested in the host header is
stopped, the client receives the default Web site. Therefore, it is
recommended that an ISP use the default Web site as the ISP home page,
rather than for a customer site.

Josh