RE: [NTISP] IIS4 and Applications

David V. Brenner ( (no email) )
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:11:54 -0800

With the increasing shortage of IPv4 addresses, it is considered "bad form"
to use one IP address per virtual domain/host. Of course, there are
situations where it is necessary, such as load balancing for busy domains.
However, the vast majority of virtual domains would be quite effectively
served by IP-Less hosting. And why not? When it comes time to provide
justification for more addresses, the burden will be on you to diagram your
network and provide the numbers your upstream provider must keep on file.

With regard to chastisement, this is something you'll get from the entity
who assigns your numbers to you. They will also be the ones requesting
justification for any new address blocks you request. If they don't ask for
justification, then they're not doing their jobs.

It's not just a matter of choice anymore. It's a matter of good practice
and responsible network management.

And, as always, the escape hatch is open for Netscape 2.0 users:

http://www.netscape.com/download/

David V. Brenner - dvb@cport.com
International Services Network Corporation
http://www.cport.com

see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html