RE: [NTISP] FCC Ruling on internet calls

Joseph J. Tokar ( (no email) )
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:23:37 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE617A.74B0C9C0

I just read the entire ruling this morning... I thought it stats that the
states are now responsible for deciding on whether compensation is due. I'm
not exactly sure how this will eventually affect small ISP's, and I'm
personally more afraid of losing customers because the average user will not
be interested in using the net if he/she has to pay .10 cents a minute for
access. Any body get something different from this ruling? I'd be
interested in hearing your thoughts.

Joseph Tokar
Signature Internet Solutions
-----Original Message-----
From: ntisp-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:ntisp-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Sam Lowe
Sent: Friday, February 26, 1999 9:43 AM
To: ntisp@iea-software.com
Subject: [NTISP] FCC Ruling on internet calls

Have any of you assessed the impact of the FCC ruling that internet
calls are not local in nature? As CLECs we are paid to terminate local
calls. This ruling means that we are no longer entitled to this
compensation. If they are not local calls, what are they?

At the very least, the phone companies (yes, we are one too) could levy
a charge on your users for calls to an ISP.

Thoughts?

Samuel S. Lowe
Director, Data Network Services
UniversalCom, Inc.
slowe@universalcom.net

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE617A.74B0C9C0

I just=20read the entire ruling this morning... I thought it stats that the =states are=20now responsible for deciding on whether compensation is due.  I'm =not=20exactly sure how this will eventually affect small ISP's, and I'm =personally=20more afraid of losing customers because the average user will not be =interested=20in using the net if he/she has to pay .10 cents a minute for =access.  Any=20body get something different from this ruling?  I'd be interested =in=20hearing your thoughts.

Joseph=20Tokar
Signature Internet Solutions