Re: [NTISP] Swap out of NIC cards and TCP/IP settings

Andrew J. Lillie ( (no email) )
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:36:22 -0800

I don't know if this is the easiest way, but one way I have used is to grab
the data out of the registry and save it to a .reg or flat text file, then
import the data back in.
One way to do this would be (I hope I explain this clearly):
1) run regedt32.exe and open your local registry
2) open the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services
3) find the sub-branch that stores you're NIC's config. This varies
depending on the NIC, but is usually easy to find as it will usually be a
paired set of nearly identical entries. For instance, on my system I have
RTL8029 and RTL80291 as sub-branches. You want to open the branch that ends
in "1" (or "2" if its you're second NIC, etc).
4) under that sub-branch, open /parameters/Tcpip.
5) in this you will find the keys "IPAddress" and "SubnetMask". Double
click each one, select all the data, copy and paste each into a text file.
6) Install your new NIC.
7) Repeat steps 1-4
8) Paste the IP's from your text file into the "IPAddress" key for the new
NIC. Do the same with "SubnetMask"
9) Restart (may not be necessary).

Obviously there are several other variations on this process, and there
might be a simpler way, but I don't know of it.

Thanks,
Andrew J. Lillie
JPS.Net Network Operations
andy@jps.net