Re: [NTISP] 128bit Browser Downloading

Ioannis Chazakis ( (no email) )
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:32:51 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey L. Scully <info@olynet.com>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: 21 February 1999 00:06
Subject: Re: [NTISP] 128bit Browser Downloading

>Do you have an example you could send? We use the 3COM chassis's and I do
>assign Ip pools from broken C classes to each bank. Actually I will be
assign
>one C class to three seperate banks and one whole C class minus 10 adresses
>the other modem bank.
>Thanks for the response.

its not a problem if you assign a c class to more than one boxes. its just
that if your naming scheme is consistent, its much easier to code and
automate.

my ip range is xxx.xxx.xxx.1 to xxx.xxx.xxx.224, and i name my modem ips as
ppp1.something.net, to ppp224.something.net so coding a small program is
simple and looks something like this :

open "c:\something.txt" for output as #1
for counter = 1 to 224
print #1, "ppp" & counter &" IN A xxx.xxx.xxx." &
counter
next
close #1

I end up with a file that looks like this

ppp1 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.1
ppp2 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.2
ppp224 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.224

the same applies for the reverse lookup

open "c:\reverse.txt" for output as #1
for counter = 1 to 224
print #1, counter & " IN PTR ppp" & counter &
".something.net"
next
close #1

and i get a file like this

1 IN PTR ppp1.something.net
2 IN PTR ppp2.something.net
224 IN PTR ppp224.something.net

Then its a simple matter of editing the zone files and pasting the new text
in.
So, provided you have a naming scheme that is fairly constant, you can
easily make the zone files in a few minutes.

see this url: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html