RE: [NTISP] Backup programs

John ( (no email) )
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:23:26 -0500

David,

Have a look at St. Bernard Software Open File Manager. I believe it will do
exactly what you are asking for. http://stbernard.com/

John

-----Original Message-----
From: ntisp-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:ntisp-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of David Payer
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 1999 1:03 PM
To: ntisp@iea-software.com
Subject: [NTISP] Backup programs

We might have covered this one in the past but I wasn't paying attention. :)

I have NT servers that constantly have open files which do not get backed up
properly. I cannot take these offline (mail/authentication servers) for any
appreciable length of time.

I have been using NovaStor's backup program because it allows me to backup
to another disk on the network, which for me is preferable. Unfortunately,
their open file solution ($595) only works with tape drives.

I think Seagate's open file solution for Exec is the same way: tape drives
only.

Is there a solution that can handle open files (btreive and ODBC) safely and
effectively in a backup so the backup can be done without shutting down
functions of the server?

Thanks for your comments.

David Payer
OMNI Internet