RE: [NTISP] Setting Up Remote BDC...

Sergio Manzi ( (no email) )
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:01:31 +0100

Settinng up a new PDC with the same domain NAME wouldn't work as domains are
identified not only by their name but also by a "security descriptor" (I
hope this is the correct term), a (i think) random number generated when yo
first create a domain.

Anyway I think you should be able to see the remote PDC at install time,
provided you point the BDC to a remote WINS server...

Also beware that PDC and BDC have a bad habit of chatting a lot each with
the other. This could be a non issue on a dedicated T1 but created me a lot
of headaches on ISDN connections that insisted to get activated every 5
minutes or so.

I found solutions tweaking various timers and parameters in the registry.

As this is a bit off-topic problem, please write me directly if you need
more information.

Cheers.

Sergio Manzi

-----Original Message-----
From: ntisp-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:ntisp-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Robert Hipp
Sent: Monday, November 30, 1998 11:16 PM
To: ntisp@iea-software.com
Subject: [NTISP] Setting Up Remote BDC...

We have a customer with a office here in Calif and an office in Las Vegas
connected via T1. Each site has a PDC (LB and LV). Now they want a BDC
for LV here in Calif. The problem is when we setup NT as a BDC it can't
find LV PDC. We are thinking about making it a PDC with the same domain
name as LV when disconnected from network. Then once installed, connecting
back to network. The hope is that server service won't start because there
will be a domain controller with same name and then we can demote to to
BDC. Has anyone done this? Will the two start talking? Will we messup the
existing PDC in LV? Is there a better way short of flying out there?

Thanks,

Robert Hipp
System Admin
http://www.oc-net.com