RE: DNS Info?

Matthew Andersen ( (no email) )
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:17:00 -0700

I have banned them along with 300+ other mail servers, so far 134 of the
domains have stopped relaying. The problem is they won't stop using the
server as long as it is relaying. Even if I block the IP's my mail servers
take a hit. We are talking over 300 machines relaying, and at about a rate
of 50000 messages per hour.

Matthew

-----Original Message-----
From: Endre Palfi [mailto:cyborg@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, October 19, 1998 2:35 AM
To: ntisp@iea-software.com; mander@logi.net
Subject: Re: DNS Info?

Why don't you just ban the domain from your mail server for the next 2
months
until this behavior stops? It's not like you can trace or contact every
domain
admin who tries to spam you, this could even be automatically done by
software.
We get this type of thing all the time and we just temporarily ban them
until
they stop doing it with us or forget about using our SMTP server.

It's their fault because they provoked it and it really doesn't do all that
much damage if you ban them since "just how many of your clients will be
using
that .ru domain for connecting to the internet?". If your clients wanted to
connect from Romania they wouldn't be able to use your E-mail servers
because
of the ban and they would surely let you know about it. Or what is the
likelyness that your specific clients are expecting E-mail from that
specific
range of IP addresses except "SPAM" mail?

Is that an idea or what?
..Endre Palfi