RE: [RadiusNT]

Brian Kerr ( bkerr@isgcolumbia.com )
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:03:14 -0500

I assume a dump is just a backup to a disk device. If this is the case, how
does one go about doing a dump? Thanks

Brian Kerr - 573.446.8881 x51
Systems Administrator
Midamerica/Computerland Internet Services - www.computerland.net
The Digital Missourian - www.digmo.com

From: Dale E. Reed Jr. [mailto:daler@iea-software.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 11:35 AM
To: radiusnt@iea-software.com
Subject: Re: [RadiusNT]

Brian Kerr wrote:

> We use backup exec on the nt sql server that has the database. It does a
> complete backup from 10pm to 8am, and at certain times there are odbc
> timeout errors from radius. You suggest backing up in a different manner?
> If so please advise. The database is rather large. Around 600 Megs.

I'm sure BE SQL module is great, but I don't like the concept of
anything but SQL Server itself doing the backup/restore. If you get
into a bind and need MS to help you, they are not going to support
a backup in BE format. However, if you can restore a dump from tape,
then they CAN help you restore that dump, etc.

I recommend scheduling a dump of your DB about 1/2 hour before your
backup is scheduled to go, and then just backing up the dump of your
DB (its just a file containing the data). The dump usually only
takes a couple of minutes for a DB that size, and then the backup
does not interact with your SQL Server directly, and resolves the
issues you describe.