Re: [RadiusNT] How to synchronize system times?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:40:48 -0700

"S.Tumurbaatar" wrote:

> It seems that when RadiusNt updates current time related
> fields like CallDate and etc, it retrieves system time of local machine.

Not really. For MS Access, this may be true, but its from the
perspective
of the MS Access database, not RadiusNT (IE, RadiusNT ask MS Access to
set the date based on whatever time MS Access thinks it is).

For SQL Server, RadiusNT AlWAYS uses the GetDate() function to set
the timestamp. RadiusNT never uses the clock of the local computer
for time functions.

> I wrote a little program which shows who is online and refreshes
> online query from time to time. Also it calculates how long user is
> online by simply subtracting value of CallDate from current time.

Thats fine.

> Becouse my program connects to RadiusNt database from different machine,
> there's some difference between my and server machine time. And
> calculated time doesnot present true online time (negative value or
> several min/sec variations). Does anybody know how to syncronize
> my pc's time with time of server machine where RadiusNt (or may be
> ODBC database) stays?

What type of DB are you using? For SQL Server, use the DateDiff()
functions built into it to do the time calculations, and then you
don't have to worry about the local clock.

> I need to write some startup procedure which should do time
> syncronization before database connect. Also anybody know how
> does Emerald do it? It has similar window where online times appear.

Emerald uses the SQL functions for most things. The next release
will use the DB clock for everything (alleviating the local clock
problem all together).