Re: [RadiusNT] Request tips for fault-tolerant RADIUS server system

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 27 May 1999 20:11:53 -0700

Danny Sinang wrote:

> I just learned that one of our major ISP's suffered a major RADIUS server
> problem. Apparently, they had more than 30 POP's nationwide all pointing to
> one RADIUS server.
>
> How can this fiasco be averted next time ?

Have more than one RADIUS server?

> Can someone recommend a setup that will be a very fault-tolerant RADIUS
> system ? I mean, what hardware / software combination would prove up to the
> task ? How about 2 RADIUS servers (primary and secondary) that point to 1
> SQL Server machine whose database is actively mirrored on another SQL Server
> machine ? Will this do the job ?

Usually. I would recommend doing mirroring on the drives for the
SQL Server, then do a nightly backup/restore or transfer to a
backup server.

> And in the case of our major ISP, would it be better to have each POP
> maintain the database for that POP's users ?

Not usually. Unless the POP is multi-homed, there isn't any
advantage of putting a RADIUS server at the POP itself.

> And when this user (let's say his username is "john" and his home POP is
> "pop1") roams about our country, all he has to do is use the username
> john@pop1.domain.com ?
>
> Can RadiusNT 2.5 handle this type of roaming by the use of POP + domain
> names ?

It could, but it sounds like more trouble than its worth.