RE: [RadiusNT] Long read

Justin Thomas ( (no email) )
Wed, 12 May 1999 14:53:21 -0600

We had the same problem.

Solution:
I wrote a cold fusion script that took all the NT users and their
information and transferred them to the SQL server. RadiusNT runs off of
that database. Then we wrote a billing program in cold fusion to access all
the RadiusNT info and our own billing info from the SQL Server. Its great
for all our reps, because they can setup the clients with any web browser
and from anywhere(clients own home). They also can see the RadLogs from the
browser and see what problems the client might be having. We also have this
billing program running all the email accounts.

If you have any question or would like some help, let me know.

____________________________
Justin Thomas
Stellar Communications
208.234.0365
thomasju@stellarcom.com

-----Original Message-----
From: radiusnt-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:radiusnt-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of System
Administrator
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 1:28 PM
To: radiusnt@iea-software.com
Subject: [RadiusNT] Long read

Sorry for the length, but here goes:

We are an ISP that is a sister company of a Long Distance, Cable,
Advertising, and Paging companies. We all use the same billing software,
which is a DOS-based piece of *^$&. The deal is this: right now we have
Equinox SuperSerials, Ascend Max, Lucent Portmasters, and 3Com Total
Controls all using their own software to authenticate back to an NT Domain.
This is an administrative nightmare. I became aware of RadiusNT through
another mailing list, and started doing research.

I'm no DB expert, but I've got some background in design. Never used MS SQL
before, but we have a copy that we can install. Emerald looks like the best
way to go, but convincing the powers that be to ditch the old system for our
company will be an uphill battle. Eventually, I'd like all WAN boxes to
authenticate to one radius DB, with concurrency and accounting capabilities.

Here's my question: what options do I have? As I said, Emerald looks like
the best all around solution, but it's going to be tough to convince them to
go with it. I know how to design a relational DB on paper well, and can
design in Access. Can SQL be learned in a month? If not, what would
someone charge to design a SQL DB to do the things I need it to?

Justin Ellison
sysadmin@nebi.com
Internet USA, LLC
234-6413