Re: [RadiusNT] WAS URGENT - same IP address on multiple connections!?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:33:50 -0700

Stephen Johnson wrote:

> > Subject: Re: [RadiusNT] URGENT - same IP address on multiple connections!?
> > From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
> > Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 10:57:31 -0700
> >
> > Stephen Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > I am running RadiusNT 2.5.124 with a PortMaster 3.
> > > What is the problem when multiple connections, different
> > usernames get the
> > > same IP address? This has just started happening. It happened a
> > couple of
> > > weeks ago that I saw and then it has been happening several
> > times a day the
> > > past few days that I have seen. The connection time will show the same
> > > minute or only 1 minute difference and of course that could
> > only be 1 second
> > > difference actually. What can be done to prevent this?
> > >
> > > Stephen
> >
> > Who is assigning the same IP Address to two differnet users: the PM3
> > or RadiusNT? If you have two users with the same static IP and they
> > both login, who knows what the results will be (you shouldn't do that).
> > If the PM3 is assigning the same IP to two different users from the
> > PM3's IP pool, then thats an issue with the PM3 (I've never heard of
> > that, though).
> >

> They are from the PortMaster IP pool, so I assumed the PM. I called Lucent
> before I emailed and the tech said no that it would be a RadiusNT issue ~:-O
> But I called Lucent back and got a ticket open on it now

As long as you are sending the Framed-Address attribute for a NAS
assigned IP (and not a specific one), RadiusNT has nothing to do with
assigning the IP. You might check your POOL size and make sure its
large enough, though. I'm not sure what the PM3 does if it doesn't
have any un-used IPs in the pool available to assign.