Re: [RadiusNT] Server Planning

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:26:25 -0800

Brian Lube wrote:

> I looking over our RadiusNT SQL server right now, and I'm thinking about
> revamping it a _lot_ in order to handle our call load. I have a few
> questions about RadiusNT's interaction with SQL and how to speed it up.
>
> How critical is CPU? Could I use a dual Pentium Pro 200 or should I look
> at a Dual 300/350?

Usually, processors are not critical, although they are important. A
dual PP200 should be fine for moderate to heavy loads,

> Speed of Hard Drive? Should I upgrade my single 10k RPM drive to a Raid0
> solution for speed (I'm using a second server as backup)?

The more spindles the better. As your Database grows, a single
harddrive will be a major bottle neck. You should look into hardware
RAID with atleast 3-4 drivers for better performance.

> Right now we are running SQL for Radius NT on a Pentium II 333 with 256M of
> RAM and a 9G IBM 10k RPM drive. I'm seeing a lot of write waiting and a
> bunch of I/O all at once (along with some weird CPU spikes). Wanted some
> expert opinion on Hardware before I started reviewing what I could do.

SQL Server loves RAM. The more the better. Thats probably #1 on my
list. Secondly is driver spindles, followed closely by CPU speed.

For more information about this list, including removal, pleasesee this URL: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html