Re: [RadiusNT] Radius, Chap and TotalControl

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:30:13 -0800

Brian Lube wrote:

> I'm working with my new TotalControl revisions, and I have a question
> about CHAP in RadiusNT:
>
> In the manual it states -
> · Will RadiusNT use clear text for authenticating or does it
> require PAP or CHAP?
>
> RadiusNT supports both PAP (clear text) and CHAP. However, if you
> will be using a user list which contains encrypted passwords
> (WindowsNT SAM, UNIX passwd file, or encrypted passwords in a
> database) only PAP authentication will work since RadiusNT must have
> the password in clear text in these cases.
>
> I'm running RadiusNT in ODBC mode, clear text passwords. Can I run
> Chap authentication or not? Maybe I'm not reading the manual right.

As long as the passwords are in clear text in your DB, you can.

> The problem I'm noticing is that in Radlogs I'm getting *chap* all the
> time.

That means that the passwords didn't match. RadiusNT could log the
actualy CHAP encryption it received from the NAS, but that wouldn't
be to useful or fun to see. Does PAP work correctly?

For more information about this list, including removal, pleasesee this URL: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html