Re: [RadiusNT] Re: RadiusNT problems - revisited

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:54:04 -0800

Darren Bacon wrote:

> No problem, I'll open my own thread and be specific. We will have several
> NT servers on remote sites, running RadiusNT and they will connect to the
> DSN(s) across our private WAN for authentication and accounting. It appears
> that we can use two DSN's, one for authentication, one for accounting. I
> would like to set up a RadiusNT database on each of the SQL servers and use
> one for authentication and one for logging. The databases will be
> independant of each other. Will this work?
>
> If not, could I have a description of what the "Accounting DSN" is intended
> for please? We need to distribute load because of the number of access
> servers and the size of our service.

The "how to" of this depends on what type of database system you are
using. We have setup multi-database implementations using SQL Server
and one DSN (you use a view from your authentication database to the
accounting database for the calls table and make the triggers on the
calls table, in the accounting database, update tables in the auth
database). You can do this using remote stored procedures with SQL
if its not the same SQL Server as well.

To try and clarify what I said earlier, the issue with using two
different DSNs is when you try to use some of the advanced features
of RadiusNT, like concurrency control, with the manual update options.
The manual update options run on the accounting thread (since they
happen when you received accounting requests) and therefore are
performed
on the accounting database connection. This can cause those advanced
features to not correctly, or at all.

For more information about this list, including removal, pleasesee this URL: http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html