Re: [Emerald] diskdump.dat?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 12:58:46 -0800

"David V. Brenner" wrote:

> > In trying to improve my backup procedure for Emerald, I noticed that I
> > cannot find the physical file for diskdump. I would have
> > expected to find a
> > diskdump.dat file, but it doesn't exist. I have done several
> > manual backups
> > of Master and can see them if I look under Backup History for
> > Databases->master->Backup/Restore, yet no backups appear under Backup
> > Devices when I expand (+ -> -) diskdump . What am I missing?
>
> Actually, in picking through the Master device, I noticed that it contains
> three tables: master, pub and model. None of these seem to have anything to
> do with Emerald, yet several messages in the list archives mention that the
> data in Emerald is useless as a backup unless the Emerald table structures
> (which are supposedly stored in master) are available as well.

Sortof. Your Emerald.dat file (the one SQL Server uses) is the data
store. Without the master.dat file, SQL Server doesn't know about it.
When you make a Dump of Emerald, SQL Server puts the dump file into a
format where it can be restored onto a machine without having to have
the master.dat file as well.