RE: [Emerald] CR 7.0 (FIX)

David V. Brenner ( (no email) )
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:43:23 -0700

David:

I figured out what was happening.

In CR 7.0 design view, fonts are not displayed accurately. For instance, at
100%, Courier New 10 looks nothing like it does in other apps (for instance,
WordPad or Outlook). Under no circumstances, should Courier New 10 be
displayed at 14 characters per (horizontal) inch as it is in CR 7.0. 12 is
more like it.

However, if you design in 11 points, you will get what you need. I just did
a quick re-do of my einvoice.rpt using this method and everything lined
up... on screen, in e-mail... and exported to a text file. It seems
fool-proof.

Tip: Set your report and subreports to zero-width margins. You'll find
working on your plain text reports to be easier, as you won't have to guess
about relative positioning on your subreports. Let the client e-mail
program worry about margins.

Tip2: Allow additional space on the opposite end of your fields'
justification. That is, if a field (even a static text object) is
left-aligned, make the bounding box two or three characters longer on the
right. This will prevent the truncation that tends to occur in CR.

Have fun.

David V. Brenner - dvb@cport.com
International Services Network Corporation
http://www.cport.com