Re: [Emerald] deadlock

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:03:57 -0700

James Martin wrote:

> Hello,
> We are running SQL6.5 w/sp5 and Emerald 2.5. Periodically when a customer
> attempts to signup up with us online they get the following error:
>
> 603 Database Error - Please contact your service provider for additional
> assistance. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Your server
> command (process id 20) was deadlocked with another process and has been
> chosen as deadlock victim. Re-run your command
>
> We are using the emreald.cgi script from the Total Internet package which
> otherwise works perfectly with Emerald and SQL. Does anyone know what I can
> do to stop this from happening. Thanks

Deadlocking occurs when two processes trying to update the same table
at the same time. One is allowed, while the other waits and eventually
gets deadlocked out. This can occure at night during a scheduled
script that updates something, or when someone is doing a lot of work
on the system (like say invoicing, CC processing, etc). Your probably
in contention with the MasterAccounts table.

There are two advanced settings in SQL 6.5 that deal with lock
escalations.
The first is a percentage and the second is the number of locks. You
may
want to raise the number of locks you have and then raise the number of
locks required to escalate to a table lock.

Of course, is that all sounce like rubish, you might want to just
upgrade
to SQL 7.0 to avoid all that. :)