Re: [Emerald] Emerald diskdump in SQL 6.5

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:41:38 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> Is there a way to do an Emerald diskdump in SQL 6.5 SP5a and have it backup
> everything EXCEPT the Calls table data?
>
> This is one of the scheduled tasks that we run:
>
> DUMP DATABASE Emerald
> TO Emerald_diskdump_6_Friday VOLUME = 'SS0006'
> WITH NOUNLOAD , STATS = 10, INIT , RETAINDAYS = 1, NOSKIP

No. What I would recommend is:

* creating a new DB called EmerladCalls
* copying the Calls table to the new db
* create a view named Calls in the Emerald Database that is:
Select * From EmeraldCalls..Calls
* make sure all the users exist in the EmeraldCalls db (they don't
have to have access to the Calls table).
* Make sure all users have read access to calls (view), and that
EmeraldApps has insert permission to calls (view).
* Modify the Trigger on the New calls table (from insttrig.sql)
to update the Emerald..ServerPorts and Emerald..SubAccounts tables,
respectively.

This will keep the calls data out of your Emerald database, and keeps
things a lot cleaner. It also lets you do what you want.