Re: [Emerald] Can you disable foreign key constraints? (then enable

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:37:34 -0700

Andrew Stinson wrote:

> We're trying to correct a spelling mistake in the accounttypes table, but
> can't update the table because of the Foreign Key constraints with
> SubAccounts.Accounttype. How can I disable this long enough to update the
> AccountTypes name, or can it be done? I went into the DB, AccountTypes
> table, Design Table, Properties for the AccountType column, and removed the
> check from Enable relationship for INSERT and UPDATE thinking that might
> work (i did it for both tables)....Didn't work...if it's possible (or not)
> let me know please.......thanks....

You can, but you would have to change all the records in the MBrs are
well.
Your better off just creating a new one with the correct name, and
then running a script like:

Update SubAccounts
Set AccountType = 'New Type'
Where AccountType = 'Old Type'