Re: [Emerald] SQL Database size

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 22:21:36 -0700

> Andrew Stinson wrote:
>
> We are new to SQL, and wasn't sure about the size the emerald DB and
> the transaction logs should be? We have the database size for Emerald
> set for 877 meg, and are using 817 of it. Our transaction log is 2
> gig with 6 assigned to it. Is this about right for a database with
> about 4000 users? How can we decrease the size of the current
> transaction log (truncate? we just backed up the emerald db and
> everything i've seen says truncation will clear out everything before
> the backup) , and what's a "safe" size to set the log for.

Its difficult to estimate the size of a DB, specifically your calls
table. All the other tables in your DB probably will not grow over
100mb in many years. The Calls table is what makes but the data and
log segments grow.

Typically a transaction log should be between 1/4 to 1/2 the size
of your data segment. I would recommend running a checkdb and
then to a recalc to make sure the reported size of your DB is
the correct size.