Re: [Emerald] Add a Linux User from Emerald?

Chris Cover ( (no email) )
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:57:50 -0400

Ok. So what if I need to use two services types from
the accounting section at the same time? Will I need
to have a separate service for this? Is the path to
the files to write a share path, (\\MACHINE\SHARE\name),
or do I need to "map a drive" on the server that is
running Emerald and then specify a path like "X:\"?

Does Emerald append information to the files that it will
write on the Samba share? Does it overwrite? How do you
manage a thing like that? Sed/Awk? Any examples that anyone
may know of?

To be a little bold with an opinion, I think that it is not
a very "clean" solution. I think that the ability to send
an E-mail to an Admin each time a user of particular service
is added/modified/deleted is more manageable (Yes, as manual
as it may be :) than the Samba thing (not that I'm opposed
to the solution). I guess that's probably skeptical opinion
since I haven't actually set things up to try it yet, but...
maybe I'm leading up to a feature request:

the least complex solution, that I can imagine, is a program
designed by and for Emerald, that operates on a port of a
UNIX machine. The program can accept requests from Emerald.
There could be a proprietary protocol with a username, password,
and maybe encryption. The program could be wrapped via inetd, so
that connections are accepted only from the IP address where
Emerald is running. In Emerald's definition of a service, there
could be a check box, maybe "Use Unix server", with a text box
to indicate the IP address of the Unix server. It could include
a mandatory shell (no telnet shell), allow/disallow FTP access
toggle switch, etc.) A Help button would reveal that you need
to download and compile such-and-such file from
ftp://such-and-such and read the docs contained in the archive.

?