RE: [Emerald] Texas Sales Tax

Patrick Blue ( (no email) )
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:58:50 -0700

A couple possibilities here, if I understand the situation correctly:

Via mathematics you should be able to produce a percentage which, when
applied to the 39.90 monthly fee for ISDN, submits a value equal to the tax
that is required for the 14.95 taxable amount. For example, it the tax is
10% (yikes!) and 1.50 is expected by the government for each of these
accounts (I believe the govt always rounds in their favor) then a percentage
tax would need to be applied to your 39.90 to produce a 1.50 tax each month.
Some thing like 3.76% would apply in this example. 3.76% of 39.90 is 1.50024
or so.

Also, you could set an additional charge (as a service) for all your ISDN
customers outside the regular 39.90 (which you would not tax directly) that
equals the amount of tax each person would need to pay; Call the charge ISDN
tax.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding...

Patrick Blue
IEA Software
-----Original Message-----
From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com]On Behalf Of Ben Conner
Sent: Friday, June 18, 1999 2:12 PM
To: emerald@iea-software.com
Subject: Re: [Emerald] Texas Sales Tax

At 10:11 PM 6/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
>"Ronnie D. Franklin" wrote:
> >
> > On October 1, 1999 a new Texas law goes into effect.. which will confuse
> > everyone in Texas.. and I am looking for a way to handle it with
Emerald...

> > The law exempts the first $25.00 of a Internet Access fee and all is
well
> > with single channel accounts... i.e.. $19.95 per month is not taxable...
> > However with ISDN accounts, which are $39.90 per month, only $14.95 of
the
> > monthly fee is taxable....
> >
> > So.. one of two things... either Emerald needs to be expanded to handle
> > this, or I have to come up with some creative way to handle it....
> >
> > Any suggestions????
> >
> > Dale, How about including some way to handle it...
>
>Aren't taxes fun? :)
>
>The only way I can think of handling this in a future version of
>Emerald would be to allow defining a floor and ceiling on the taxes.
>The floor would be useful in your case. I don't know how to handle
>that in the current version.

Well, one way to handle it would be to define 2 ISDN services--one taxable
and one non-taxable, to represent the division. And then convert the
clients to the 2 services. Not the best solution, but at least doable
until Emerald can be taught new tricks...

--Ben
+ Ben Conner ben@webworldinc.com +
+ Web World, Inc. (714) 639-0595 voice +
+ PO Box 6548-107 (714) 744-4825 fax +
+ Orange, Ca 92863 +