Re: [Emerald] feature request: Duplicate Credit Card Search and add Ban

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:08:47 -0700

Rudy Komsic wrote:

> Well, if an account is flagged as a blacklist account and under the Emerald
> Admin you have a flag to check all MBRs vs Blacklist flags, all new clients
> would be verified under the Emerald Client. When each line is typed
> (excluding first name) a search will first find the specific fields and
> blacklisted flags that is being queried and then if any info matchs or is
> LIKE it (admin configurable) The warnings will pop up.
>
> 2 concrete blacklisting items are both phone # and credit card number. To
> have the address, postal code, and other fields like name and fax # helps a
> lot. Most people who we have caught usually reuse the same address or
> postal code or last name of the person. It just does not hurt to have that
> information there.

You could do this today with Emerald, although its not a native feature.
Add a trigger to the MasterAccounts table, and have it check the fields
you want with a set of tables you define to hold the data. If a match
is found, use the RAISERROR SQL function to error the insert. Emerald
will trap the error and display it to the user.

> Another Idea that past through my ears is a feature called Global
> Blacklist/Ban List. This feature can make any ISP running Emerald to update
> the global ISP Blacklist/Ban List by having the SQL server to copy certain
> fields of Data from their server to IEA's Global Blacklist Server (should
> IEA be interested in adding one) therefore ISP's can protect themselves from
> clients who hop from one ISP to another without paying or who has broken TOS
> agreements and got banned. The reason why I say Ban list and Blacklist are
> defined as follows:
> Ban: a Client who has not upheld the TOS agreement and caused illegal or
> harmful activity over the Internet connection.
> Blacklist: a Client who has not paid clients for services rendered and would
> be capable of doing the same at another provider.

The liability on this is fairly great. It would be much like the
National
Credit Beareu here in the states. Undoubtly, someone would sue us for
being
on a list that we ourselves have no real control over. This is much
like
the spam lists today. We might think about the means, but would not
want
to be apart of managing it.