Re: [Emerald] SQL Server 7.0 Internet Connector and Emerald

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 13:43:36 -0500

Greg wrote:

> That is a fact, but if you have out laying modems that hit the Net to get back to
> you (leave your T1 to cross the net to come down your T1) then the Internet
> Connector applies.
> It stinks but that is the License.
> Of course if you get SQL for basically nothing with the action pack it makes it a
> little easier to swallow.

Actually, its not. The last I checked, the Internet Connector license
was centered around who the user was with respect to the owner of
SQL Server. If they are an Employee, contractor, etc, then they can be
covered under a normal client license. However, if they are a customer
of yours, they are NOT considered intranet.

Here is a link to the pricing details, and I will quote a small section
of it.

> Per-processor pricing is new. The Internet
> Connector allows an unlimited number of
> devices used by Internet users to use
> SQL Server. An Internet user is any
> person currently connected to the
> Internet, other than a person employed by
> you (as an employee, independent
> contractor, or in any other capacity), or
> otherwise providing goods or services to
> you or on your behalf.

Notice is doesn't say "any person connected FROM the internet".
I'm not sure if that is a typo, but its definately some good gray
area. There text on their website has changed since I last looked
at the 7.0 licensing (its not as in depth as I thought).