RE: [Emerald] Em/UX Utility

Robert H. Clugston ( (no email) )
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:47:49 -0800

David,
In the last Emerald/UX package that I played with Emerald parsed a file to
a Unix box Via SMB networking. This file contained simple commands followed
by variables. The commands where like ADD, DEL, PASSWD, and EXTEND. A C
program when then parse the file and pass the commands off to scripts
(scripts where called ADD, DEL, PASSWD, and EXTEND or something like that.)
The scripts that came with this package where only skeletons.
I've been holding on writing these scripts because I wanted to see if
someone would come up with a better more secure way of doing this. I would
like to know what is the correct way to parse users to a Unix box from
Emerald so maybe I could start developing my own code.

-----Original Message-----
From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com] On Behalf Of david leigh
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 1999 9:05 PM
To: emerald@iea-software.com
Subject: [Emerald] Em/UX Utility

Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with the Em/UX program
provided by IEA. I had a quick look at the release notes but couldn't work
out from them what the program is intended to do.

Is it supposed to replace the shadow password file with a lookup of the
Emerald database? This would be an out and out Godsend and would certainly
make integration of our various Linux and NT boxes a whole lot easier.

If anyone can provide any comments I'd be very glad to hear them.

Cheers
David Leigh

please see http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html

please see http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html