Re: [Emerald] TempDB in RAM?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:47:25 -0800

Brandon Bryant wrote:

> I hear many people talking about tempdb in ram. I went to a MS Pre-Sales
> seminar on SQL 7.0 and the guy made a huge deal about this, saying that you
> should never have tempdb in ram. Of course, we are talking about MS here,
> but I guess I just wanted to know what that means, and what it does when I
> put tempdb in ram..

tempdb is like a scratch pad for SQL Server. For example, if you order
a result set, it creates a worktable in tempdb and files the records in
there to sort them. Having tempdb in RAM can significantly improve
queies where you have to do a lot of ordering or sorting of data.

Typically I recommend having a tempdb in RAM if you have the extra
memory.