RE: [Emerald] TempDB in RAM?

Robert H. Clugston ( (no email) )
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:10:59 -0800

Brandon,
The tempdb stores temporary information like when running call
consolidation. Normally this database is on your hard drive. When you move
it to your ram is speeds up everything that uses it (stored procedures?) a
great deal.
For Ex.
Call Consolidation Before.....30-45 mins
Call Consolidation After ....... under 5 mins

This is on a PII 300 with 128mb of ram and a tempdb of 16mB in ram.

-----Original Message-----
From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com] On Behalf Of Brandon Bryant
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 12:39 PM
To: 'emerald@iea-software.com'
Subject: [Emerald] TempDB in RAM?

I hear many people talking about tempdb in ram. I went to a MS Pre-Sales
seminar on SQL 7.0 and the guy made a huge deal about this, saying that you
should never have tempdb in ram. Of course, we are talking about MS here,
but I guess I just wanted to know what that means, and what it does when I
put tempdb in ram..

please see http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html