Re: SQL Error

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:21:28 -0700

Michael Whisenant wrote:
> I am having a new problem that is preventing me from performing normal
> operations. This problem started on Monday, while out of town and I must
> now get it fixed as tomorrow is the MAJOR billing day of the month.
> Everytime I try to print out all the invoices that have not been sent I
> get a generic SQL Server Error. I notice that the screen that preloads the
> Crystal Reports is loaded and about half the normal time before the actual
> invoices appear is when the error pops up.
> I have examined the SQL Error logs in the Enterprise manager and get the
> following errors:
> Error 1105:, Severity 17, State 1
> Can't allocate space for object '-964' in database 'tempdb' because the
> 'system' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
> transaction log. Otherwise use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
> increase the size of the segment.
> Now by tempdb is in ram, I examine the database and it is 32mb in size
> with 31.24 free, I have truncated the database, and still this happens. I
> can not increase the size because it is in ram, and will not allow me to
> modify the size. Further I do not think it should be necessary to do so
> with all the free space.
> I have to be able to print out the batches of invoices as today and
> tomorrow I have over 4500 invoices to print. If I have to select each one
> 1 at a time that will take forever.

The issue is with the way Crystal Reports does things. Crystal Reports
will sort/read in all the records, and then filter them based on the
date. This is rather in-efficient, and as the number of invoices
performance will decrease.

You can change the size of tempdb in ram, by right-clicking on your
selecting confige, going to the third tab, and changing the tempdb size
in ram
from 32 to like 40).

The other option that we have done for a couple customers as an interim
solution, if to create a modified invoice.rpt called invbatch.rpt, that
has an SQL modification, to only bring in the invoices created after
say 9/1/98. This will make printing the batches a lot faster, but
you switch back to the original invoice.rpt, you can't print older
We are working on this problem for the final release of Emerald 2.5.