Re: SQL Error

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:21:28 -0700

Michael Whisenant wrote:

> I am having a new problem that is preventing me from performing normal
> operations. This problem started on Monday, while out of town and I must
> now get it fixed as tomorrow is the MAJOR billing day of the month.
>
> Everytime I try to print out all the invoices that have not been sent I
> get a generic SQL Server Error. I notice that the screen that preloads the
> Crystal Reports is loaded and about half the normal time before the actual
> invoices appear is when the error pops up.
>
> I have examined the SQL Error logs in the Enterprise manager and get the
> following errors:
> Error 1105:, Severity 17, State 1
> Can't allocate space for object '-964' in database 'tempdb' because the
> 'system' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the
> transaction log. Otherwise use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
> increase the size of the segment.
>
> Now by tempdb is in ram, I examine the database and it is 32mb in size
> with 31.24 free, I have truncated the database, and still this happens. I
> can not increase the size because it is in ram, and will not allow me to
> modify the size. Further I do not think it should be necessary to do so
> with all the free space.
>
> I have to be able to print out the batches of invoices as today and
> tomorrow I have over 4500 invoices to print. If I have to select each one
> 1 at a time that will take forever.

The issue is with the way Crystal Reports does things. Crystal Reports
will sort/read in all the records, and then filter them based on the
sent
date. This is rather in-efficient, and as the number of invoices
increases,
performance will decrease.

You can change the size of tempdb in ram, by right-clicking on your
server,
selecting confige, going to the third tab, and changing the tempdb size
in ram
from 32 to like 40).

The other option that we have done for a couple customers as an interim
solution, if to create a modified invoice.rpt called invbatch.rpt, that
has an SQL modification, to only bring in the invoices created after
say 9/1/98. This will make printing the batches a lot faster, but
unless
you switch back to the original invoice.rpt, you can't print older
invoices.
We are working on this problem for the final release of Emerald 2.5.