Re: compatibility of RadiusNT and Meritt

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:34:20 -0700

Andy Honaker wrote:

> Trying to process a pass through authentication from a Livingston terminal
> server and Merit Radius. When our RadiusNT returns the Filter, Merit
> ignores it. I am told that this is not a simple matter of 'what' is being
> returned, but 'how' it is being returned. I am told that this is a protocol
> issue, and cannot be solved without rewriting the code for the server.

What you are going to find out is that merit is NOT 100% RADIUS
compliant,
and have hacked their own requiements and resolutions into their
software
that is not RFC compliant. RadiusNT (AFAIK) is RFC compliant and works
with
a wide variety of clients and servers. We have tested RadiusNT proxy
with
many other RADIUS servers with great success.

> Also, that It has to do with the way the reply packet is constructed, and
> is not user configurable in any way since the Livingston and Merit ares
> slightly incompatible when it comes to Proxy Radius Reply-Items.
> I find it hard to believe that the only way to do this is to use Merit on a
> UNIX box.

We added some support for the Merit stuff on the accounting side so that
Merit would accept the account ACK, even though when you turn on that
option it makes RadiusNT RFC non-compliant (something I hate to do).

> Has anyone dealt with this before or have other suggestions? Is anyone able
> to pass the Filter back to Merit?

If you can be more specific about what the problem is, I might be
able to help. We have resolved serveral Merit <-> RadiusNT issues
in the past (although not usually fun to do). The filter attribute is
just a string. What (or 'how') is Merit expecting for it?