Re: SQL consolidation and user logins

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:46:31 -0700

Mike Miller wrote:

> We are using RadiusNT 2.2 with ODBC and a MS-SQL 6.5 sp4 SQL database. We
> keep 2 months accounting for our records. Our database is generally has
> around 300MB to 400MB of space used to handle this. Every morning at 4AM
> SQL executive runs a script that deletes all calls records over 2 months
> old. According to SQL executive, this process has been taking between 12
> and 15 minutes to complete each night. Our problem is that during the
> consolidation process, there are periods of time in which no users can log
> onto the network. The Radius screen itself just freezes on an accounting
> request until consolidation completes. Originally Radius was installed on
> the same machine as SQL Server, but because of the login problems we moved
> it onto a different machine from the SQL server... no luck, still freezes
> during consolidation. The same copy of Radius is performing authentication
> and accounting. I suspect that the Calls table is getting locked during
> the mass delete query, but am not sure if this is causing our problem or
> not. Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a workaround that will allow us
> to perform consolidation without locking out logins? Would running two
> copies of radius on two seperate machines (one for authentication and one
> for accounting) help or am I heading the wrong direction with this?

RadiusNT 2.2 uses one connection for both accounting and authentication.
Therefore, when you delete records from the calls table, it hangs the
other
connections until the lock it done (including RadiusNT).

RadiusNT 2.5 has a different connection for accounting and
authentication.
Therefore, when you start deleting a bunch of records, auth continues
and
accounting hangs until you are done (not much you can do about that).

Moral of the story: Upgrade to RadiusNT 2.5. :)