[RadiusNT Digest]

radiusnt-digest-request@iea-software.com
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:00:58 -0700

Message 1:
from "Bruno Tremblay" <bruno@mustangtechno.com>

Message 2: Combining databases
from "Lorri Manning" <lorri@cowtown.net>

Message 3: Re: SOLVED: Problems with Proxy from Service
from iml@interconnect.net

Message 4: Re: emerauth.dll not loading with Serv-U
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 5: Re: Static IP can't surf
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 6: DB problems, again.
from "Reid Sutherland" <reid@isys.ca>

Message 7: Login Limit
from "Greg Lowthian" <greg@isat.com>

Message 8: Concurrency Control
from "Tony Schwartz" <tony@transport.com>

Message 9: Re: DB problems, again.
from "Kurt Schafer" <kahuna@cyberbeach.net>

Message 10: ServerPorts Table
from Mark Tran <mtran@gdex.net>

Message 11: Re: ServerPorts Table
from Mark Tran <mtran@gdex.net>

Message 12: Re: DB problems, again.
from "Reid Sutherland" <reid@isys.ca>

Message 13: Radius running slow
from <rich@midway.net>

Message 14: Re: Login Limit
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 15: Concurrent Login Control
from postman@cp-tel.net (Postman Account)

Message 16: New version of Serv-U
from John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net>

Message 17: Re: Concurrent Login Control
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 18: Re: DB problems, again.
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 19: Re: ServerPorts Table
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Bruno Tremblay" <bruno@mustangtechno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:49:45 -0400

I'm Using Radius v 2.5.124 Enterprise Edition With SQL.

I installed emer_su.dll with Serv-U v2.3c build 11 and is working very well.

I tryed to install emerauth.dll with Serv-U v2.3c build 11 and I got that
error : PROBLEM: Cannot find/load DLL c:\progra~1\serv-u\emerauth.dll (can
also happen if the DLL uses other DLLs which are not available).
The DLL is in that directory, and the version of SERV-U is registered.

Help will be appraciate

Thanks
Bruno

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Combining databases
From: "Lorri Manning" <lorri@cowtown.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 07:58:16 -0500

Does anyone know of any problems with importing in the tables from another
MSAccess DB into Radius? (We aren't using SQL server, just Access.) I
tried it for awhile over the weekend, however it began randomly "forgetting"
users & not letting them log on.

Lorri Manning
Email: lorri@cowtown.net
Cowtown Net, Inc., 3044 Wichita Court,
Fort Worth, TX 76140
(817)293-9353; (972)730-2010
Fax (817)293-9076 / http://www.cowtown.net
"No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats."

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: SOLVED: Problems with Proxy from Service
From: iml@interconnect.net
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:18:12 -0500

RFC what's that? hahah

We are a big company we can make up our own standards.

Seems lots of companies these days have that attitude.

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:44:37 -0700, you wrote:

>Tony Schwartz wrote:
>>=20
>> Sorry... A great case of RTFM...
>>=20
>> I had to set malformed to on. A little more reading always helps.
>
>So, we have Merit, Cisco, USR, and Livingston all sending malformed
>packets. Is there ANYONE who can read an RFC and implement it
>correctly. Man that is just downright depressing! :(

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: emerauth.dll not loading with Serv-U
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:46:56 -0400

> From: Bruno Tremblay <bruno@mustangtechno.com>
> I'm Using Radius v 2.5.124 Enterprise Edition With SQL.
>
> I installed emer_su.dll with Serv-U v2.3c build 11 and is working very
well.

> I tryed to install emerauth.dll with Serv-U v2.3c build 11 and I got that
> error : PROBLEM: Cannot find/load DLL c:\progra~1\serv-u\emerauth.dll
(can
> also happen if the DLL uses other DLLs which are not available).
> The DLL is in that directory, and the version of SERV-U is registered.

Have you tried putting emerauth.dll in the Emerald directory? If not, try
it out and remember to modify the serv-u.ini to
[EXTERNAL]
ClientCheckDLL1=c:\progra~1\emerald\emerauth.dll

I'm still using emer_su.dll and that file is in my Emerald directory, so I
have no idea if my idea above will have any effect on your problem...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Static IP can't surf
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:53:08 -0400

> From: Victor A. <victor@webjogger.net>
> We've assigned a Static IP address to one of our customers in Emerald and
> under the Radius Tab we've setup the following configuration:
>
> User-Service Framed-User 6 2
> Framed Protocol PPP 7 1
> Framed Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 8
> Framed Netmask 255.255.255.0 9

Our dedicated IP people have a Framed-Netmask of 255.255.255.255 set in
Radius and they never have any problems...

> Well, the user logs on fine, Emerald shows the user with the Static IP
> but.... the user can't do anything at all!! We had him connect to our
> PR and to the PM3 no changes at all. He's unable to go onto the Internet.

Probably because of a routing issue related to the Netmask above

> What else does one needs to do, the user is running Win95 and has tried
> entering the Static IP info in DUN and the Network Icon of the CP, in
both
> cases same result.

The user should never have to enter in any of that stuff (including DNS
stuff). Eventhough the person has a dedicated IP, let the PM3 tell the
client machine that. It's less configuring that the user has to worry
about... Also, make sure that "Use default gateway on remote network" is
checked in the TCP/IP Settings area of his/her Dial-Up Networking
connection profile.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: DB problems, again.
From: "Reid Sutherland" <reid@isys.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:10:47 -0400

In the documentation it states that MasterAccounts has pretty much nothing
to do with anything except for if the user is active or not. But I found
something fun today. MasterAccounts is checked for almost everything. In
other words, loginp, password, accounttype, and shell are all checked here.
Any reason for this not being in the docs?
If I removed these fields I had to create from the Masteraccounts, Radius
will not auth the user.

Here's a snipet I got from Radius in -x15 mode.

SQL Statement: Select DateDiff('n', Now, DateAdd('d', ma.Extension+1,
maExpireDate)), DateDiff('n', Now, DateAdd('d', ma.Extension+1,
maExpireDate)), sa.AccountID, sa.AccountType, sa.Password, sa.Login,
sa.Shell From MasterAccounts ma, SubAccounts sa Where (sa.Login='fitzgewi'
or sa.Shell='fitzgewi') AND ma.CustomerID=sa.CustomerID and sa.Active<>0 and
ma.Active<>0

ODBC Error:00000:1074927752:

Not Found in ODBC, Checking users file...

Reid Sutherland
Network Administrator
ISYS Technology Inc.
http://www.isys.ca
Fingerprint: 6552 6469 5320 7475 6568 6c72 6e61 0a64

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Login Limit
From: "Greg Lowthian" <greg@isat.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:25:30 -0700

I have a customer that want's 6 logins with the same username and
password.
I have Concurrency Control and Variable Login Limits checked and
a login limit of 6.
On an Ascend 4004 we can only get 2 logins all others
authenticate and
login (looking at -x15) but are dropped with in 2 to 4 seconds
(nothing in -x15)
Any ideas?

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Concurrency Control
From: "Tony Schwartz" <tony@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:06:44 -0700

Does Concurrency control simply look at login id or passwd also??

I ask because we have several users with same login id due to acquisitions
we have done. RadiusNT is quite cool as it can handle multiples with same
name as it checks the passwd also for match up.

If we turn Conc Control on will we only have one instance of a userid at a
time??

Tony

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: DB problems, again.
From: "Kurt Schafer" <kahuna@cyberbeach.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:18:29 -0400

The only things being checked from MasterAccounts in that query you gave are
whether or not the account is active. The MasterAccounts table doesn't have
any fields for login, password, shell, etc.

Active = Active checkbox AND whether the account is expired in my definition
BTW. (not just the active check box)

- Kurt Schafer
- Network Administrator
- Cyber Beach Communications
- http://www.cyberbeach.net
- BOO !!

Subject: ServerPorts Table
From: Mark Tran <mtran@gdex.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:52:04 -0400

I'm configuring RadiusNT and got lost when trying to populate the
ServerPorts table. Any advice on how to populate the table.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 11 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: ServerPorts Table
From: Mark Tran <mtran@gdex.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:57:14 -0400

From: "Reid Sutherland" <reid@isys.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:00:51 -0400

Ahh, it's ok. I figured that one out pretty quick. Actually, the only thing
it checks the CustomerID field. So what I did was put 1 number in that
field.

----------------
CustomerID
----------------
9035
----------------
(Autonum)
----------------

Then I went into my SubAccounts and put in the CustomerID field that same
number the whole way down.
So when Radius queries the database it just skips to the SubAccounts table.
Kinda a feature but most likely a bug :)

Thanks anyway Kurt :)

Subject: Radius running slow
From: <rich@midway.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:13:38 -0500

I have been running radiusNT since the beginning of the year and have had
few problems. We added an Ascend MAX 2012 and found the time-out problem
with the accounting packets and we got that fixed, but now a new problem has
come up.

It seems that our server is taking arround 5-7 seconds to update the
callsonline. We are using a P166 with 64MB ram and NT40 SP3. The only other
thing on the server is our billing system.

If I rename the callsonline to something else and restart radius it the
responce times are in are arround 200-400 according to debug screen. We are
using MS access for all of our information.

I have also tried exporting and importing all of the data to a different MDB
file thinking that there might be a database problem.

Any Ideas?

Richard Thompson
Midway Internet Access

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 14 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Login Limit
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:19:51 -0400

> From: Greg Lowthian <greg@isat.com>
> I have a customer that want's 6 logins with the same username and
> password.
> I have Concurrency Control and Variable Login Limits checked and
> a login limit of 6.
> On an Ascend 4004 we can only get 2 logins all others
> authenticate and
> login (looking at -x15) but are dropped with in 2 to 4 seconds
> (nothing in -x15)

Do you have "shared profiles" set to Yes in your Max?
Ethernet --> Mod Config --> Shared Prof

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 15 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Concurrent Login Control
From: postman@cp-tel.net (Postman Account)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:40:48 -0500

Does anyone have concurrency control working properly with MS SQL
and RadiusNT 2.5124?

I've seen it discussed quite a bit on the list lately... and I'm wanting
to set it up.... but, didn't know if it works as it should...?

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 16 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: New version of Serv-U
From: John Lange <radadmin@palacenet.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:21:30 -0500

HI

Has anyone had a chance to try the NEW 2.4 version of Serv-U with the
emer-su.dll or the emerauth.dll? Any problems? Any disasters?

Prying minds would like to know.

Thanks
JOhn :}

John C. Lange, Sr. PALACE dot NET, INC.
microjl@palacenet.net MICRO-TECH Computers, Inc.
608.742.1601 & 6980 2800 New Pinery Road
http://www.palacenet.net/ Portage, WI 53901
Visit our online store @ http://www.microt.com/
Authorized iPSwitch WebVar @ http://www.microt.com/iPSwitch/index.html

--- __o
--- _-\<,_ Fastest Service in Town
--- (_)/ (_)

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 17 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Concurrent Login Control
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:11:13 -0700

Postman Account wrote:

> Does anyone have concurrency control working properly with MS SQL
> and RadiusNT 2.5124?

Yes.

> I've seen it discussed quite a bit on the list lately... and I'm wanting
> to set it up.... but, didn't know if it works as it should...?

Here are the things that must be met:

1. You must enter all your servers in the Server Ports table.

2. You must enter each port of each server in the ServerPorts table
(the two tables are linked via the ServerID field).

3. You must have accounting working and RadiusNT storing accounting records
in the calls table.

4. You must have either manual calls update enabled or a trigger installed
on the calls table to update the serverports table. This is the key
to concurrency working. The trigger or manual calls update will keep a
running list of users on-line in the serverports table. This table is
what RadiusNT will check to see if someone is on-line (and how many
times).

5. You need to have Concurrency control enabled in the RadiusNT admin, and
possibly the variable login limit if you want RadiusNT to use the loginlimit
field in the subaccounts table.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 18 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: DB problems, again.From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:31:21 -0700

Reid Sutherland wrote:> > Ahh, it's ok. I figured that one out pretty quick. Actually, the only thing> it checks the CustomerID field. So what I did was put 1 number in that> field.> > ----------------> CustomerID> ----------------> 9035> ----------------> (Autonum)> ----------------> > Then I went into my SubAccounts and put in the CustomerID field that same> number the whole way down.> So when Radius queries the database it just skips to the SubAccounts table.> Kinda a feature but most likely a bug :)

Huh? You think something is a bug that you most likely don't understand,and I don't have a clue what you are referring to above and I dounderstand. :)

The CustomerID field is what links the SubAccounts table (Services) to theMasterAccounts table (MBRs). Main the maExpireDate (MBR expiration) andActive are the two fields used from the MasterAccounts table.

When you add a user to the database, you need to first add an entry tothe MasterAccounts table. Once you have added that entry, the database willassign it a CustomerID. Next, you will add one or more services from thatMBR into the SubAccounts table, with that CustomerID. Each SubAccountrecord will also be given its own AccountID automatically.

This is what we call a two-tier database layout to allow a single billablecustomer to have multiple services. You may want to take a look at Emeraldif most of this doesn't make sense, because Emerald hides all this databasetechnicalities from you.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 19 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: ServerPorts TableFrom: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:40:18 -0700

Mark Tran wrote:> > At 04:52 PM 7/20/98 -0400, you wrote:> >I'm configuring RadiusNT and got lost when trying to populate the> >ServerPorts table. Any advice on how to populate the table.

You need to add an Entry into the Servers Table for Each serveryou have. Then you need to add an entry into the ServerPorts table foreach port of each server. There, the SQL will look something like this:

INSERT Into Servers(Server, IPAddress, Secret) VALUES('nas1', '10.0.0.1', 'secret1')GO

Select ServerID From Servers Where IPAddress = '10.0.0.1'GO

INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 1)INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 2)INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 3)INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 4)INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 5).....INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 46)INSERT Into ServerPorts(ServerID, Port) VALUES(1, 47)

GO

This is assuming that the select statement returned one for the ServerID.