Re: Framed Route for Newbie

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 16:14:03 -0700

David Moore wrote:
> I am trying to route netmask (62 hosts)
> through USR Total Control using radius I have added to the users radius
> profile the following command
> Framed-Route 1
> when I do an external traceroute the route disapears at our TC
> box is there another procedure or radius command I should also use, can
> anybody help me with this one.

You need to route that subnet to your TC on your border routers, but on
the TC itself, you route the subnet to the next hop, not the TC itself.

For example, we use un-numbered WAN interfaces on some ISDN stuff (NT
RAS can't do this) and assign the lowest number of the subnet as the IP
of the ISDN TA's ethernet. The RadiusNT entry looks like this:

user Password = "Blah"
User-Service = Framed-User,
Framed-Protocol = PPP,
Framed-Address =,
Framed-Route = " 1"

When the user gets dialed in, the TC knows thier IP is
It also dynamically adds the route to the subnet via the above IP. When
the user hands up, its all gone. Remember, you'll get a loop between the
TC and your border router when the connection isn't up.

PS, everyone needs to make sure they are posting to the
domain and NOT the domain. Starting next week we will be
sending an auto-responder to everyone who is sending to the
domain, so update your address book now and save your the trouble later.