[RadiusNT Digest]

radiusnt-digest-request@iea-software.com
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:00:42 -0700

Message 1: Dr. Watson strangeness
from "Peter D. Mayer" <dmayer@netwalk.com>

Message 2: RE: Dr. Watson strangeness
from "Barry Kiesz" <barry@hdc.net>

Message 3: Backup Radius Server
from "Mike Roberts" <mike@datawest.net>

Message 4: Re: Dr. Watson strangeness
from "Zak Wolfinger" <zak@cyberlink.com>

Message 5: Re: Calls table not functioning, Calls online not functioning
from Carl Jagerski <carll@forcomm.net>

Message 6: User id length
from "Beverly Wise" <bev@hyper-drive.com>

Message 7: Backup Radius Server
from "Mike Roberts" <mike@datawest.net>

Message 8: Re: Backup Radius Server
from Jim Dunmyer <jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>

Message 9: Re: Dr. Watson strangeness
from "Peter D. Mayer" <dmayer@netwalk.com>

Message 10: Re: Dr. Watson strangeness
from Dale Reed <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 11: Re: Dr. Watson strangeness
from Dale Reed <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 12: Re: Backup Radius Server
from Dale Reed <daler@iea-software.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Dr. Watson strangeness
From: "Peter D. Mayer" <dmayer@netwalk.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:41:22 -0400

We've been having an odd problem with Dr. Watson. The last 3 days instead
of popping up a dialog box, Dr. Watson takes 100 % of the CPU time and just
sits there. I'm not sure if this is caused by RadiusNT or not, but I
thought I'd check and see if anyone else has ever had this problem. It
doesn't pop up a dialog box like it does when you shutdown the SQL service
before shutting down Radius. Any ideas? I've stopped almost every process
except SQL and Radius, so I'm not sure what else to try.

Peter D. Mayer
NetWalk Tech Support
dmayer@netwalk.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: Dr. Watson strangeness
From: "Barry Kiesz" <barry@hdc.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:38:50 -0500

Do you by chance have "FindFast" from Office 97 loaded on that system? We
were having the same problem until we removed it.

Try it and let us know!

Barry

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Backup Radius Server
From: "Mike Roberts" <mike@datawest.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:32:22 -0600

What are the options for running a primary and secondary Emerald/RADIUS
setup? I need to have a fairly synchronized redundant secondary RADIUS
server before I commit to the Emerald product.

How are others doing it?

*Mike Roberts
*DataWest Internet, LLC
*Colorado Springs - http://www.datawest.net
*(719) 633-5804 - ICQ 387413

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Zak Wolfinger" <zak@cyberlink.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:33:39 -0500

Make sure that RadiusNT and SQL have rights to interact with the
desktop (in service manager). If they don't, and one of them generate
a Dr Watson error, it does what you are describing. You will
probably still get the Dr. Watson, but at least it will write it's log
and not bring the cpu up to 100%.

Zak Wolfinger email: zak@cyberlink.com
CyberLink, Inc. voice: (219) 235-1400
213 S Main Street fax: (219) 235-1599
South Bend, IN 46601 www: http://www.wolfinger.net/zak

|We've been having an odd problem with Dr. Watson. The last 3 days
instead
|of popping up a dialog box, Dr. Watson takes 100 % of the CPU time
and just
|sits there. I'm not sure if this is caused by RadiusNT or not, but I
|thought I'd check and see if anyone else has ever had this problem.
It
|doesn't pop up a dialog box like it does when you shutdown the SQL
service
|before shutting down Radius. Any ideas? I've stopped almost every
process
|except SQL and Radius, so I'm not sure what else to try.
|
|Peter D. Mayer
|NetWalk Tech Support
|dmayer@netwalk.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Calls table not functioning, Calls online not functioning
From: Carl Jagerski <carll@forcomm.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:49:28 -0400

At 05:42 PM 6/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Carl Jagerski wrote:
>>
>> What if the calls file is empty to start with???
>> That the same problem but the calls file is empty to start with.
>
>If the Calls table was empty, it wouldn't be complaining about a
>duplicate key, because there would be no keys. :)

Well, That's the problem! It's complaining about a dup key when there is
none.

Carl Jagerski
Network Administrator, Forward Communications
carll@forcomm.net
412-378-4490 Fax: 412-375-0156

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: User id length
From: "Beverly Wise" <bev@hyper-drive.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:36:04 -0400

Dale,
I have been using the text version of 2.2 RadiusNT for a while now. I have
put in a few user names longer than 8 characters and it has worked.

Can this cause problems down the line?

Thanks...

Beverly L. Wise
Systems Operator
Falls City Net Services
http://www.fallscity.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'

From: Jim Dunmyer <jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:40:51 -0400

At 04:54 PM 6/25/98 -0600, you wrote:
>What are the options for running a primary and secondary Emerald/RADIUS
>setup? I need to have a fairly synchronized redundant secondary RADIUS
>server before I commit to the Emerald product.
>
>How are others doing it?

Mike,
We run RADIUS on another machine in text mode. A batch file on that
machine updates the text file from the main SQL server every 3 hours during
the day, so it's always current. The RADUSERS program from the Emerald site
is used to extract/create the text file.

Works for me, YMMV:

<<Jim>>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Peter D. Mayer" <dmayer@netwalk.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:20:32 -0400

I think I've found the problem. The last auth in -x15 mode was for someone
with a username of 4 letters and about 50 spaces.

I seem to remember reading about something like that on the list several
months ago, I'll have to check the archive. I've removed this user, and if
it doesn't crash tomorrow, case closed. This is a serious bug! Does this
exist in 2.5? I'm getting ready to upgrade next week.

BTW, the Radius and SQL services already had rights to interact with the
desktop, but it was still doing the 100% thing anyway. Know of anything
else that would cause that? Thanks for the suggestions!

Peter D. Mayer
NetWalk Tech Support
dmayer@netwalk.com

From: Dale Reed <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:12:04 -0700

Peter D. Mayer wrote:

> We've been having an odd problem with Dr. Watson. The last 3 days instead
> of popping up a dialog box, Dr. Watson takes 100 % of the CPU time and just
> sits there. I'm not sure if this is caused by RadiusNT or not, but I
> thought I'd check and see if anyone else has ever had this problem. It
> doesn't pop up a dialog box like it does when you shutdown the SQL service
> before shutting down Radius. Any ideas? I've stopped almost every process
> except SQL and Radius, so I'm not sure what else to try.

I would edit your DR Watson registry and set the dump to 0 and
visual notification to 0. The 100% CPU is DW writing the dump
file (which can take a long time).

Path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DrWatson

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 11 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Dr. Watson strangenessFrom: Dale Reed <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:40:39 -0700

Peter D. Mayer wrote:> > I think I've found the problem. The last auth in -x15 mode was for someone> with a username of 4 letters and about 50 spaces.> > I seem to remember reading about something like that on the list several> months ago, I'll have to check the archive. I've removed this user, and if> it doesn't crash tomorrow, case closed. This is a serious bug! Does this> exist in 2.5? I'm getting ready to upgrade next week.

Yes it is a serious bug and yes it has been fixed in 2.5. Thetrimname option can trim the spaces off as well. > BTW, the Radius and SQL services already had rights to interact with the> desktop, but it was still doing the 100% thing anyway. Know of anything> else that would cause that? Thanks for the suggestions! I would suggest upgrading to 2.5, fast, since it will most likelyresolve the crash problem.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 12 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Backup Radius ServerFrom: Dale Reed <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:14:10 -0700

Mike Roberts wrote:> > What are the options for running a primary and secondary Emerald/RADIUS> setup? I need to have a fairly synchronized redundant secondary RADIUS> server before I commit to the Emerald product.> > How are others doing it?

There are many ways, with the most popular being to use a second text only instance of RadiusNT. We are working on a better way of doing this, by having RadiusNT itself maintain the textfile so that you don't have to have two different implementationsof RadiusNT (just two the same).