[RadiusNT Digest]

radiusnt-digest-request@iea-software.com
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 00:00:39 -0700

Message 1: Re: Error 650 on dial up
from "Lorri Thomas" <lorri@cowtown.net>

Message 2: Memory Eating RadiusNT 2.5 HELP!!!!!!!!
from "Brian Johnson" <brian@hdc.net>

Message 3: Re: What is RadiusNT Price prior to June 8
from Sheryl Stover <sds@iea-software.com>

Message 4: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNT
from Michael Whisenant <mwhisen@airnet.net>

Message 5: radiusnt
from "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>

Message 6: radiusnt
from "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>

Message 7: radiusnt
from "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>

Message 8: radiusnt
from "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>

Message 9: Re: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNT
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 10: Re: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNT
from Michael Whisenant <mwhisen@airnet.net>

Message 11: NAS not hearing Radius NT
from "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.net.nz>

Message 12: Re: NAS not hearing Radius NT
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 13: Re: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNT
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Error 650 on dial up
From: "Lorri Thomas" <lorri@cowtown.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 07:43:25 -0500

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a newbie....
What accounting Stop records? How would I check? Evidently the accounting
is not "turned on", because I can't find the disconnect records anywhere
other than the Calls table which just shows how long they were on. Care to
point me to the steps for getting this working?

NAS is NT

Lorri A. Thomas
Email: lorri@cowtown.net
Phone: 817-293-9353
- or 972-730-2010
Fax: 817-293-9076

"More hay, Trigger?"
"No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"

From: "Brian Johnson" <brian@hdc.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:54:29 -0500

When IO start Radius NT, it begins to use up all available memory on the
machine until it bombs.

Help!!!!!

Brian Johnson
Network Administrator, Hard Drive Central
brian@hdc.net
605-229-1562 Fax: 605-229-1563

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: What is RadiusNT Price prior to June 8
From: Sheryl Stover <sds@iea-software.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:14:03 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

The previous price for RadiusNT was $495. We will honor that price
for those who request it until June 8, 1998.

-Sheryl

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Mark Colasante wrote:

: Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 00:24:34 -0400
: From: Mark Colasante <mcola@exchange.netexp.net>
: To: "'radiusnt@iea-software.com'" <radiusnt@iea-software.com>
: Subject: What is RadiusNT Price prior to June 8
:
: I want to get RadiusNT Standard right away. The IEA web site indicates
: that there is reduced pricing for this prior to June 8th. What is the
: price if I purchase it before June 8th?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Mark Colasante
: NetExpress
:

Sheryl D. Stover sds@iea-software.com
IEA Software Sales http://www.iea-software.com
509.444.2455 x 51 (voice) Emerald ISP Management Suite
509.624.9903 (fax) RadiusNT

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNT
From: Michael Whisenant <mwhisen@airnet.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 11:57:09 -0500

I have been asking, and will continue to do so, until I get a response. I
am in need of performing PPTP and I want to know how to support it in
Emerald/Radius NT. Can someone please provide answers? I have posted and
re-posted this message to the list in hopes someone will respond. Dale is
active on the list, yet no comments. I never see any response from Kurt.
Do I need to open and official tech support inquiry?

I know if I manually add a user in USR TC or use their RADIUS I can assign
to the netuser protocol = PPTP and default-host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where
that is their company PPTP server, and I can either add or instead use a
global-host which sets a series of PPTP servers in a pool??? All I need to
know is the process in Emerald using Radius NT how to make this happen.
Therefore I do not need to enter users into each TC and use Emerald and
RADIUS the way it was/is designed.

Subject: radiusnt
From: "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:40:42 +0200

Hallo I am an Internet Provider. With the present I demand the licence
of the Radiusnt Version 2.2, version that I have already shaped and
tried in my Server with Nescape NT I inform to you that already I have
sent via fax gg. 28 May my name and address and how much from you
demanded. You can help me? the problem is urgent !!
Thanks
Loredana Tancini N.I.P. 1 www.nip1.it

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:55:43 +0200

From: "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:56:34 +0200

From: "loredana Tancini" <loredana@nip1.it>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:57:44 +0200

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNT
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 13:35:53 -0700

Michael Whisenant wrote:

> I have been asking, and will continue to do so, until I get a response. I
> am in need of performing PPTP and I want to know how to support it in
> Emerald/Radius NT. Can someone please provide answers? I have posted and
> re-posted this message to the list in hopes someone will respond. Dale is
> active on the list, yet no comments. I never see any response from Kurt.
> Do I need to open and official tech support inquiry?

I responded to you about this last night. As I mentioned I am not that fluent
in PPTP and have little experience with USR gear.

> I know if I manually add a user in USR TC or use their RADIUS I can assign
> to the netuser protocol = PPTP and default-host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where
> that is their company PPTP server, and I can either add or instead use a
> global-host which sets a series of PPTP servers in a pool??? All I need to
> know is the process in Emerald using Radius NT how to make this happen.
> Therefore I do not need to enter users into each TC and use Emerald and
> RADIUS the way it was/is designed.

I don't understand why you can't just do the same? The PPTP is most likely
just another value for Framed-Protocol. I'm not sure what attribute default
host matches to, though. It could be a VSA, as I noted earlier, or it could
be something like Login-Host. What does radlogin show for the authentication
againt the USR RADIUS server?

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 10 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNTFrom: Michael Whisenant <mwhisen@airnet.net>Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 17:50:28 -0500

>>I responded to you about this last night. As I mentioned I am not thatfluent>in PPTP and have little experience with USR gear.

Sorry for the attitude, but I did not see any response on the list fromyou or anyone on this thread, and I did not see it personally. Must ofbeen one of those things that got lost....

>>> I know if I manually add a user in USR TC or use their RADIUS Ican assign>> to the netuser protocol = PPTP and default-host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where>> that is their company PPTP server, and I can either add or instead use a>> global-host which sets a series of PPTP servers in a pool??? All I need to>> know is the process in Emerald using Radius NT how to make this happen.>> Therefore I do not need to enter users into each TC and use Emerald and>> RADIUS the way it was/is designed.>>I don't understand why you can't just do the same? The PPTP is most likely>just another value for Framed-Protocol. I'm not sure what attribute default>host matches to, though. It could be a VSA, as I noted earlier, or it could>be something like Login-Host. What does radlogin show for the authentication>againt the USR RADIUS server?

Help me understand since I do not have a copy of this previous message. Iagree that it is most likely a value for Framed-Protocol. I do not how toperform the radlogin against the USR RADIUS server, but I can run this ifprovided details, or will escalate this with USR Technical Support if Iknow exactly what to ask. I have a call into support now, and will let youand the list know. I know that any ISP with USR equipment using yourRADIUS (and there are a few of us) would like this option if they knewabout it. I can not imagine that Ascend/Livingston does not do PPTP(although 3Com wrote the PPTP for Microsoft, maybe a license issue).

For purpose of the list PPTP allows a user to encrypt his/her session andbuild that tunnel to a default-host. You can build a global listing ofPPTP servers that any user can encrypt their session to, which defeats thereal value of the security layer. I have quite a number of businesses thatwant their employees to have remote access, but want security layers toprotect data. They can use the PPTP adapter in DUN 1.2, but that reallyrequires a static IP assignment from the ISP.

I cover a vast geographical region that has little to no competition, Idislike static addresses and typically deny request for same. I do notwant to manage a bunch of host routes, rather figure a method to usedynamic assignments. Therefore these companies really prefer that the ISPperforms PPTP in the terminal server, the only unsecure layer is the usersmodem into my terminal server (ie telco). I can offer the user then tocall any of my POPs and securely access the corporate LAN, without longdistant charges. The only disadvantage is unless the corporate LAN or theISP runs a PPTP proxy server then the user can access only the corporateLAN whith his/her dial-up account. (ISP can sell multiple accounts or runa simple proxy server on NT running

While typing this I did find out that default-host is = login-host,according to USR, the guy I spoke with told me that the Framed-Protocol =PPTP could not be a RADIUS attribute, but I beg to differ. Since all theother Framed-Protocol options are exact matches with the listings you have,I still think it must be a way to accomplish this task......>>-- >Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)>_________________________________________________________________> IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs> Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com> Michael J. WhisenantVice-President, OperationsAIRnet Internet Services, Inc.ph: (256) 704-4692 fax: (256) 704-2329

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 11 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: NAS not hearing Radius NTFrom: "Peter Mott" <peter@2day.net.nz>Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:00:01 +1200

I am in the process of moving RadiusNT 2.2 from one server to another.

I installed the same license on the new box and fired it up with same configfiles, then set NAS (USR Netserver/8I ) to use my new box as primary and oldbox as secondary.

RadiusNT receives the authenticate request from the NAS and RadiusNTresponds, but the NAS does not seem to hear it, eventually gives up andauthenticates off my seconday (original server).

Anybody have any ideas on why the NAS is deaf to my new box? I have had agood look and everything seems the same.

regards

Peter MottChief Enthusiast2Day Internet Limited.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 12 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: NAS not hearing Radius NTFrom: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 22:57:34 -0700

Peter Mott wrote:> > I am in the process of moving RadiusNT 2.2 from one server to another.> > I installed the same license on the new box and fired it up with same config> files, then set NAS (USR Netserver/8I ) to use my new box as primary and old> box as secondary.> > RadiusNT receives the authenticate request from the NAS and RadiusNT> responds, but the NAS does not seem to hear it, eventually gives up and> authenticates off my seconday (original server).> > Anybody have any ideas on why the NAS is deaf to my new box? I have had a> good look and everything seems the same.

Most likely because the machine RadiusNT is running on is multi-homedand you are using the wrong ip address (response address doesn'tmatch address the request was sent to). If you can't resolve theaddress, then you can upgrade to RadiusNT 2.5 and configure it tolisten on a single address.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 13 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: PPTP and RadiusNTFrom: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 23:22:55 -0700

Michael Whisenant wrote:>> Help me understand since I do not have a copy of this previous message. I> agree that it is most likely a value for Framed-Protocol. I do not how to> perform the radlogin against the USR RADIUS server, but I can run this if> provided details, or will escalate this with USR Technical Support if I

You run the USR server on some machine with the maching radlogin runs onin the client list. Edit the server file to point to the machine runningthe USR server, and then make a request for a user that is configured forthe PPTP stuff. Radlogin should show you the attributes.