Re: RadiusNT v2.2 dies after a day or so

Jeff Woods ( jwoods@delta.com )
Tue, 26 May 1998 17:11:22 -0400

At 01:51 PM 5/26/98 -0700, you wrote:

>> Do you think it be more stable if I ran it with radius -x15
>> mode... as opposed to an NT service... ? ...at least
>> until our new server... that we will be using... with MS SQL...
>> arrives this week?
>
>I doubt it would be any more stable, but atleast you would be
>able to see what the problem is, and possibly a way to correct
>or work around it.

FWIW, folks, I've never tried to run RadiusNT as a service -- I've always
preferred the -x15 display mode, as it is IMO (sorry, Dale) far more stable
and in any case, far easier to debug problems. My current installation of
2.2.59 has been up and running for five months without a problem, in -x15
mode, and would have been up longer (I so believe) had we not relocated and
thus we were forced to power down the system for the move.

Perhaps the service mode is stable, but there's something to be said for
being able to watch the authentications pass by on screen. A user calls
and says "I can't get online", and you can ask them to try while you watch
the screen, and you can watch the rejection happen in real time, so you can
determine right then and there what the user's difficulty is -- bad
password, expired account, etc. Its VERY useful to have that -x15 display
on-screen (also useful for those times when it DOES have to reboot -- you
can watch it load the Radius attributes and make its ODBC connection -- you
know it started up properly!).