Re: Concurency Revisited

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 08 May 1998 15:22:18 -0700

Michael Whisenant wrote:

> Actually I am running 4 RadiusNT servers. One the 2 that are
> authenticating I have them alternating between NAS, and the two that are
> running accounting are alternating as well. I went to this method a few
> months ago thinking that was a part of the problem and per Dale's
> recommendation. The database is getting less than 30,000 call records per
> day, yet I have seen on a few instances inaccuracies in the calls on-line
> table. Very few, yet more than I feel comfortable with.

This is no longer applicable to RadiusNT 2.5 and higher, since
the accounting and authentication threads act seperately with
this own ODBC connection (whereas 2.2 shared the same ODBC
connection between the two pieces).

No RADIUS implementation will ever be 100% accurate doing concurrency
control via accounting, and thats why many RADIUS vendors do not
support it. We are working on next generation concurrency contorl
that doesn't rely totally on RADIUS and will not prevent concurrency
unless its real-time verifiable.