Re: newbies ISP setup

Rudy Komsic ( (no email) )
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:17:33 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Chua <ken@neat.com.sg>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: August 24, 1998 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: newbies ISP setup

>To: All good people out there.
>
>Thanks for so many reply to my newbies problem. Anyway here's my scenerio:
>
>I have a budget of US$50K.
>I need to set up the followings :-
>
>ISP services with 56Kbps dial-up 32 lines.
>
>Equipments I need ?? :
>
>a. Cisco Router (or Ascend if cheaper)?
Go with Cisco since we have seen problems with Ascend's routers.

>b. CSU/DSU ?
Motorola

>c. 56K modem rack (Hayes/Compaq??)
goto http://www.ispconsign.com/index.cgi
and check for any second hand USR Chassis or Netservers. They work well.

>d. NAS (Computone??)?
With USR Chassis or Netserver, No NAS is needed.

MS IIS But use FBLI DNS Pro http://www.fbli.com

or Mailsite http://www.rockliffe.com

>g. HP Surestore DAT with Seagate Backup
Good choice

>h. Radius and ISP billing Software.
http://www.iea-software.com has Radius and Emerald accounting software which
we use.

>i. Misc: Racks / UPS /
UPS are a MUST for protecting your Mission Critical equipment from Power
Surges.

>Did I miss anything??
>Can this be achieve with US$50K??
>Anybody have a turnkey 2nd Hand system to sell??

check at http://www.ispconsign.com/index.cgi
for second hand ISP Hardware. Usually low prices and you bid on the item like
an Auction.