Re: newbies ISP setup

Rudy Komsic ( (no email) )
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:17:33 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Chua <>
To: <>
Date: August 24, 1998 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: newbies ISP setup

>To: All good people out there.
>Thanks for so many reply to my newbies problem. Anyway here's my scenerio:
>I have a budget of US$50K.
>I need to set up the followings :-
>ISP services with 56Kbps dial-up 32 lines.
>Equipments I need ?? :
>a. Cisco Router (or Ascend if cheaper)?
Go with Cisco since we have seen problems with Ascend's routers.

>b. CSU/DSU ?

>c. 56K modem rack (Hayes/Compaq??)
and check for any second hand USR Chassis or Netservers. They work well.

>d. NAS (Computone??)?
With USR Chassis or Netserver, No NAS is needed.

>e. Web & DNS Server (MS IIS / DNS)

>f. Mail Server (Imail 4.0)
or Mailsite

>g. HP Surestore DAT with Seagate Backup
Good choice

>h. Radius and ISP billing Software. has Radius and Emerald accounting software which
we use.

>i. Misc: Racks / UPS /
UPS are a MUST for protecting your Mission Critical equipment from Power

>Did I miss anything??
>Can this be achieve with US$50K??
>Anybody have a turnkey 2nd Hand system to sell??

check at
for second hand ISP Hardware. Usually low prices and you bid on the item like
an Auction.