[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:00:41 -0700

Message 1: Mail aliases and routing
from "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>

Message 2: Re: Front Page Server
from "Ed Miller" <emiller@del.net>

Message 3: Re: Mail aliases and routing
from "David Payer" <david.payer@ia-omni.com>

Message 4: Re: Mail aliases and routing
from "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>

Message 5: Re: Mail aliases and routing
from "David Payer" <david.payer@ia-omni.com>

Message 6: Re: Mail aliases and routing
from "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>

Message 7: Name already exists on network?
from "Admin" <admin@dreamsoft.com>

Message 8: RE: Name already exists on network?
from rkm@marshall.net (rkm)

Message 9: Re: Front Page Server
from "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>

Message 10: IIS 3.0 and Virtual Domains
from "Chuck Scott" <chuck@integrityonline.com>

Message 11: Re: IIS 3.0 and Virtual Domains
from "David Payer" <david.payer@ia-omni.com>

Message 12: NAS Recommendations
from Ray Carpenter <ray@systec.com>

Message 13: half vs full duplex
from Mark DeWar <inetmail@fiber-net.com>

Message 14: Re: NAS Recommendations
from "Sam Lowe" <slowe@universalcom.net>

Message 15: newbies ISP setup
from Ken Chua <ken@neat.com.sg>

Message 16: Re: newbies ISP setup
from "Lanham Rattan" <lanham@montrose.net>

Message 17: Re: newbies ISP setup
from matthew <matthew@the-spa.com>

Message 18: Re: newbies ISP setup
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

Message 19: RE: newbies ISP setup
from "John David M. Miller" <webmaster@samnet.net>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Mail aliases and routing
From: "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:58:20 +0200

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer.

If I configure an alias for a POP3-user on my mailserver (metainfos
sendmail) pointing to any other server in the net (not within my lan) I am
wondering how the mail will travell? If someone is sending a mail from A to
me (B) and this mail is aliased to C will this cause twice the traffic on my
internetconnection A-B and B-C? Or will this be recognized on the SMTP-side
so that the Mail directly goes from A-C causing only a litte handshake
traffic on my connection?
Does this depend on the Mailserver?

I am asking this because I have some customers doing a lot of mail with
large attachments (1 - 5 MB).

TIA

Juergen

Weiss Internet Services
D-74862 B i n a u
Tel. +49 6263 45036
Fax +49 6263 45037
weiss@wwweiss.de
http://wwweiss.de

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Front Page Server
From: "Ed Miller" <emiller@del.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:41:10 -0400

>Can any of you share your experiences (good or bad) with offering Front
Page
>server support to clients. I have been led to believe there are a number
of
>security problems with the service. I know this is a Radius group but some
>of you actually seem to know what you are doing!

Boy do they have you fooled. ;-) We all are making it up as we go.

>Samuel S. Lowe
>Director, Data Network Services
>UniversalCom, Inc
>Voice 850-837-0077 VM x116
>FAX 850-654-1794
>slowe@universalcom.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Mail aliases and routing
From: "David Payer" <david.payer@ia-omni.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:35:28 -0500

If someone is sending a mail from A to
>me (B) and this mail is aliased to C will this cause twice the traffic on
my
>internetconnection A-B and B-C
>Juergen

Are B and C on the same machine? Is C an alias of a primary domain on B? Is
C on a separate machine and you are "forwarding" the mail from B to C.

If C is an alias on the B machine, it is simply stored with the username on
the B machine that the C account is aliased to. If they are separate
machines, it will be recieved and forwarded, doubling your traffic.

David Payer

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:05:17 +0200

Ok. Lets say A in New York is sending Mail to B me@mydomain.de here in Binau
(Germany) and on my mailserver for mydomain.de I have configured an alias
(forwarding) from me@mydomain.de to annother address in Tokio
he@anotherdomain.jp (C)

The question is if the mail travells from New York to Binau and then from
Binau to Tokio, causing twice the traffic on my internet-connection or is it
possible that the mail goes directly from New York to Tokio causing nearly
no traffic on my line.

But New York is still sending to me@mydomain.de

This must happen during the SMTP connection from A to B where A gets the
info from B that the mail should go to C (he@anotherdomain.jp) and then A
establishes a new SMTP connection to C.

Juergen

>If someone is sending a mail from A to
>>me (B) and this mail is aliased to C will this cause twice the traffic on
>my
>>internetconnection A-B and B-C
>>Juergen
>>
>Are B and C on the same machine? Is C an alias of a primary domain on B? Is
>C on a separate machine and you are "forwarding" the mail from B to C.
>
>If C is an alias on the B machine, it is simply stored with the username on
>the B machine that the C account is aliased to. If they are separate
>machines, it will be recieved and forwarded, doubling your traffic.
>
>David Payer

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 5 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "David Payer" <david.payer@ia-omni.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:13:44 -0500

+AD4-Ok. Lets say A in New York is sending Mail to B me+AEA-mydomain.de here in
Binau
+AD4-(Germany) and on my mailserver for mydomain.de I have configured an alias
+AD4-(forwarding) from me+AEA-mydomain.de to annother address in Tokio
+AD4-he+AEA-anotherdomain.jp (C)
+AD4-
+AD4-The question is if the mail travells from New York to Binau and then from
+AD4-Binau to Tokio, causing twice the traffic on my internet-connection

Yes it is.

You may want to simply give it the Tokyo address in the page/function that
is sending it to you. Or do your traffic by websites (making a reference to
a file but not sending it in the email). I encourage my customers to use
alternative means of transport than SMTP for files over 1.5 meg because
various systems have limits. I encourage them to put the files up on their
website.

David

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 6 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Juergen Weiss" <weiss@wwweiss.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:20:23 +0200

-----Urspr+APw-ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: David Payer +ADw-david.payer+AEA-ia-omni.com+AD4-
An: ntisp+AEA-iea-software.com +ADw-ntisp+AEA-iea-software.com+AD4-
Datum: Freitag, 21. August 1998 17:14
Betreff: Re: Mail aliases and routing

+AD4-Subject: Re: Mail aliases and routing
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4APg-Ok. Lets say A in New York is sending Mail to B me+AEA-mydomain.de here in
+AD4-Binau
+AD4APg-(Germany) and on my mailserver for mydomain.de I have configured an alias
+AD4APg-(forwarding) from me+AEA-mydomain.de to annother address in Tokio
+AD4APg-he+AEA-anotherdomain.jp (C)
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-The question is if the mail travells from New York to Binau and then from
+AD4APg-Binau to Tokio, causing twice the traffic on my internet-connection
+AD4-
+AD4-Yes it is.

Thanks for this answer. I expected that, but its always better to hear
someone else saying the same.

+AD4-
+AD4-You may want to simply give it the Tokyo address in the page/function that
+AD4-is sending it to you. Or do your traffic by websites (making a reference to
+AD4-a file but not sending it in the email). I encourage my customers to use
+AD4-alternative means of transport than SMTP for files over 1.5 meg because
+AD4-various systems have limits. I encourage them to put the files up on their
+AD4-website.
+AD4-
+AD4-David

I am trying the same thing. Right now I am developping a database driven
ASP-solution where my customers can make their dataexchange with large files
very easy through the browser.
But its not so easy to convince them. Maybe I 'll have to wait until Germany
reaches same internet-acceptance-level than the US.

Thanks again

Juergen

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 7 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Name already exists on network?
From: "Admin" <admin@dreamsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:03:33 -0700

Maybe someone can help me out with this...

One of our servers is not viewable anymore through Network Neighborhood.
When checking the event log it tells me it cannot start the network because
a duplicate name already exists. It used to be NS1 and now I had to change
it to NS1a to start the network.

When I go into Network Neighborhood it shows the NS1 just sitting there like
its a Workgroup.

Any idea?

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 8 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: RE: Name already exists on network?
From: rkm@marshall.net (rkm)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:38:23 -0400

You must have changed the SID inadvertantly... remove it from your domain
with server manager and then add it again

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 9 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:57:33 -0400

if you want to run Frontpage, try running the latest version of IIS 4.0 and
latest FP Extensions. We found it being a solid player and fast. We normally
charge $20 CAD/Month extra for Frontpage support and additional web space
because of the extra support needed.

>Can any of you share your experiences (good or bad) with offering Front Page
>server support to clients. I have been led to believe there are a number of
>security problems with the service. I know this is a Radius group but some
>of you actually seem to know what you are doing!
>
>Samuel S. Lowe
>Director, Data Network Services
>UniversalCom, Inc
>Voice 850-837-0077 VM x116
>FAX 850-654-1794
>slowe@universalcom.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 10 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: IIS 3.0 and Virtual Domains
From: "Chuck Scott" <chuck@integrityonline.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:09:36 -0700

Got a good one for you all. I am running IIS 3.0, SP3, FP98 Ext's, yada,
yada, yada... I currently use Imail from Ipswitch and am hosting quite a
few domains. I want to be able to assign the IP for the virtual to my
mailserver, (which is running IIS), and map the virtual directories to
another server. Two questions. When I do this, all the directories show up
in the ISM as access denied. Why is this? Also, will I be able to apply the
FP ext's to those directories if they reside on another server with the IP
on the mail server? Any help would be great. I am pulling my hair out and
if you saw me you would know I don't have much left!!!

Thanks !!

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 11 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: IIS 3.0 and Virtual Domains
From: "David Payer" <david.payer@ia-omni.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 02:27:50 -0500

Also, will I be able to apply the
+AD4-FP ext's to those directories if they reside on another server with the IP
+AD4-on the mail server? Any help would be great. I am pulling my hair out and
+AD4-if you saw me you would know I don't have much left+ACEAIQAh-
+AD4-
+AD4-Thanks +ACEAIQ-
+AD4-

Many FP extensions must execute so they have to be on the machine that hosts
the entire site and that is running IIS. There is an unseperable
relationship between FP and the IIS (as you will see when you upgrade to
IIS4). Keep the FP sites on the same machine that runns IIS. It is ok to put
a mail server on that machine though.

David Payer
www.ia-omni.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 12 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: NAS Recommendations
From: Ray Carpenter <ray@systec.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:17:19 -0400

Hi All,

Currently we are using 3Com TC and are about to purchase additional units.
We thought it would be a good time to check out the competition. Can
anyone share their feelings regarding PM3's, MAX6000's, Cisco AS5300, and
Bay's 5399. Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 13 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: half vs full duplex
From: Mark DeWar <inetmail@fiber-net.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:18:41 -0400

couple of networks i got offer the choice of half or full duplex. They
defaulted to half so I never changed them cuz I wasn't sure what would
happen if I set them to full and the other end didn't support it. I have
looked but never found the answer.
My question is :
if i set a network card to full and its not supported will it run in half or
not work at all.?

thanks
md

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 14 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: NAS Recommendations
From: "Sam Lowe" <slowe@universalcom.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:28:43 -0500

Ray,

When I asked this question from the group they ignored it. I don't want you
to suffer the same fate. I have a couple of comments for you.

1. While the TC is a good unit it suffers in its ability to dial out the
ISDN ports. This is critical in usage sensitive areas (like Bellsouth),
where the BRI is metered and the PRI is not.

2. Depending on the number of PRIs/modems you have, the choice may be
simplified. I prefer the Cisco solution since I know I can get a DC power
supply (we're CLECs, LD providers, etc.) and -48VDC is very attractive to
me. The AS5200 will handle 2 PRIs and 48 modems, and can be stacked. If
you are going to have to stack 3 or more, I would recommend you get an
AS5300 first (4 PRIs/96 modems) since it has a very nice RISC processor and
can handle added units with ease. You can then add 5200s to your hearts
content.

3. Buy the units maxxed out, even if you don't need all the capabilities
initially. It really is less costly to buy them fully configured up front.

4. The cost per port on the 5300 will be slightly more than the 5200, but I
think it is worth it for the first unit.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to help.

>Currently we are using 3Com TC and are about to purchase additional units.
>We thought it would be a good time to check out the competition. Can
>anyone share their feelings regarding PM3's, MAX6000's, Cisco AS5300, and
>Bay's 5399. Any advice will be appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ray

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 15 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: newbies ISP setup
From: Ken Chua <ken@neat.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 09:40:15 +0800

Hello

Can anyone recommend a Access Server or a Modem rack to provide about 50
lines for 56K access??

Thank you
Kenzie

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 16 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: newbies ISP setup
From: "Lanham Rattan" <lanham@montrose.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:03:47 -0600

PM3

From: matthew <matthew@the-spa.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:09:50 -0400

ok. the first thing you need to know about providing 56k access is that
it isn't done over normal phone lines.

it is done over what is called "pri" lines.

if you know what a t-1 line is (24 channels of 64k delivered over what
essentially looks like a 10 base-t network cable) a pri is almost just
like that except it is 24 phone lines not 64k data lines)

although if you want to get anal data lines is the proper definition...

anyway, so there are 24 lines in a pri. you lose 1 "line" for the
handling of the call info so you wind up with 23 usable lines.

so, 56k equipment comes in multiples of 23 because that is how many
lines are in a pri and nobody really bothers with partial pri's.

the short answer is you can check out the usr total control rackmount
modems or you can also check out the livingston pm3 rackmount modems.

www.usr.com or www.livingston.com

which is better is strictly a matter of religious orientation.

we use all usr total control but that is just personal preference and
based on the fact that we wanted to support x2 because that was the
first real "standard" that consumers had. it was admittedly a gamble at
the time but it sure worked out well for us.

matthew

Ken Chua wrote:

> Hello
>
> Can anyone recommend a Access Server or a Modem rack to provide about 50
> lines for 56K access??
>
> Thank you
> Kenzie

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 18 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:18:42 -0700

matthew wrote:

> ok. the first thing you need to know about providing 56k access is that
> it isn't done over normal phone lines.
>
> it is done over what is called "pri" lines.
>
> if you know what a t-1 line is (24 channels of 64k delivered over what
> essentially looks like a 10 base-t network cable) a pri is almost just
> like that except it is 24 phone lines not 64k data lines)

You can deliver 56kb access over trunk side T1 lines as well. You
don't spefically need a PRI, you just specifically can't have any D/A
conversions on the ISP side.

> anyway, so there are 24 lines in a pri. you lose 1 "line" for the
> handling of the call info so you wind up with 23 usable lines.
>
> so, 56k equipment comes in multiples of 23 because that is how many
> lines are in a pri and nobody really bothers with partial pri's.

Yep. But you can get 24 lines with a T1 since it uses OOB signaling.

> we use all usr total control but that is just personal preference and
> based on the fact that we wanted to support x2 because that was the
> first real "standard" that consumers had. it was admittedly a gamble at
> the time but it sure worked out well for us.

X2 was never a standard. It was a vendor proprietary protocol that USR
developed. You'd be pushing it alot to say it was even a de-facto
standard. USR marketing worked similiar to Microsoft and got it known.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.| Message 19 |'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'Subject: RE: newbies ISP setupFrom: "John David M. Miller" <webmaster@samnet.net>Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:12:23 -0400

Actually 56k can be offered over straight T1s also but youdo lose you ISDN capability on straight T1 lines. We have hadexcellent luck with our Ascend Max units.

John David M. Millerwebmaster@samnet.net

SAMnet - Software and More Inc.http://www.samnet.netIpswitch WebVAR